My new Turkey shotgun?

My experience has been that I had to let the gun tell me what it likes. I hunt with a 20
gauge 1187, with a Primos Jelley Head and #7 Federal Heavyweight it's a proven killer past 50 yards.

I totally agree. Before I landed on my choke and shot combo I spent a lot of time and money testing load and chokes. I tested every major advertised choke, and loads from #4-#6, in 3"-3.5" combos. It does take time and a little expense but it is a once and done affair. What works for one guy or one gun may or probably won't work for your setup. Good news is many chokes come with a return policy so that will help lighten the load in the end.

I've tried and shot most everything nothing I've found comes close to nitro ammunition and they have tested and can recommend a choke for most of the popular turkey guns

In my view, Nitro's cannot even come close to the Hevishot
family of turkey shells. The Nitros do not hit nearly as hard nor
hold their patterns down range like the Magnum Blends do

It has been my experience (45) yrs that you need to play with different choke tubes and shot sizes and brands to find out what you gun and set up likes Turkey hunting has been my favorite hunting sport for a very long time Springtime is a very enjoyable time to be in the woods Happy hunting

I've got an m3000 stoeger, mine patterns well at least to 60+ yards with the supplied xf Turkey choke and the 12ga, 3" -1 3/4" oz #5 longbeard xr loads.

Each shotty is gonna be just a bit different--- I tried 3" Kent #4,5&6 and none patterned near what the longbeard did..Kent is for the birds, and I don't mean hunting for birds

Kent is just lead shot, often times lead shot will distort and disperse when used with a tight choke-- kent seemed to work better with a more open choke in my shotty

Last edited:
Hevi shot from the nitro ammo co. Shells run about $10 apiece but worth every penny

It has been my experience (45) yrs that you need to play with different choke tubes and shot sizes and brands to find out what you gun and set up likes Turkey hunting has been my favorite hunting sport for a very long time Springtime is a very enjoyable time to be in the woods Happy hunting

I agree, I have seen a choke/shell combo work in a buddy's gun and not work in mine (same brand, model, barrel lenght etc.)
If your trying to get everything out of your gun you can, you will find they are not much different than finding the right load for your rifle. It takes a little time, effort, and money to play with shells, shot size, and chokes. When you do find what makes your gun happy, it is a big confidence booster when you get a bird in your known kill zone.
I love to turkey hunt and love knowing that because I know what my gun will do, that I can make a clean kill as opposed to hoping that its up to the task.

I shoot a browning bps 10 , my wife shoots a bps 12 and my son shoots a 870 express youth model. All have performed very well.

I'm still in the developmental stage on finding my maximum effective shot size and choke combo. But so far Winchester Long Beard XR 5, 6, and 4 shot have all patterned very well out of my 12ga 3.5" 870 super mag with a 24" barrel to 45 yards. I have chokes from Carelson .660, Indian Creek .665, Remington #1-Xtra full at .688 and Remington #2-super full at .676.

This is a picture of 1.75oz copper plated #6 Winchester LB/XR at 1200fps/MV at 40 yards pic states 45 but that was a mistake on my part. Keep in mind this is out of a 3" 22.5" barrel 870 my son uses. Pattern is a little low, but IMHO VERY impressive. Choke is an .665 Indian Creek BDS.
#4 shot just as good so I'm going to the range tomorrow to hopefully finalize my choke/shot size combo for this gun.

The patterns at 40 out of my 3.5" 870 Super Mag are even more impressive with 2oz of shot. Going to give 2.25oz of #4's with a less constricting choke to see what happens.

We are free to shoot what ever we wish, but for the cost of pennies over $2 a shot you just can not beat Winchester LB/XR. In the right choke/shot size combination they are stone dead lethal at 60 yards.

I agree 100% and have learned that every shotgun shoots and patterns different shot sizes differently. My friend and I both bought 870 Super Mags on the same day same store serial #s were so close guns were almost certainly from the same batch run, but they both couldn't shoot more differently. His has shot more or less to POA mine needed A/M sights to have any hope of hitting and killing a tom past 40 yards.

That's why patterning your turkey gun is of absolute importance. Sadly due to work I was unable to go turkey hunting this year with my friends to one of our favorite public land spots. My friends brother doesn't believe in patterning his turkey gun says it's market hype/B.S. meant to get you to spend money. They had a very hard week of turkey hunting due to very cold and crappy weather. Finally on the only decent partly sunny morning his brother managed to call in a lone Tom for him to his decoys off the roost. Missed a easy 35 yard shot. Only took one shot at a IGA paper grocery bag used as an improvised turkey target at 35 yards to see his A/M F/O sights that attached to his vent rib had either somehow dramatically shifted POI to the left, or the load he was shooting was hitting far left. Regardless cost him a fine Tom.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.