Shortest chamber/throat you’ve seen on a 300 win. mag

Casscade

Picked up a Sako s20 recently and the throat seems awfully shallow, my 1st 300 win by the way. Oal is around 3 to 3.1 tops or you're in the lands with an eldx or serria tgk. Mag box is right around 3.6. I'm almost in the taper of the bullet while seating unless I use older style bullets, or is this normal range for win. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance .

Picked up a Sako s20 recently and the throat seems awfully shallow, my 1st 300 win by the way. Oal is around 3 to 3.1 tops or you're in the lands with an eldx or serria tgk. Mag box is right around 3.6. I'm almost in the taper of the bullet while seating unless I use older style bullets, or is this normal range for win. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance .
Something isn't adding up here, there's factory ammo which is saami i believe that's 3.34.
I'd get the chamber borescoped and see if there's a burr or something else going on

Yeah I was thinking the same, seemed awfully short even for saami. Think I'll get it checked and maybe throated to mag length. Others have reported over 3.6 to the lands with the same rifle, seems like a pretty big variation.

Yeah on some serria tgk 165's or about any eld's my ogive is almost in or below the case mouth. Calling beretta will get you a 6 month wait time so probably gonna get it to a smith. Another question, if I cut the throat to mag length can I still run factory ammo or is it to much of a jump. Mag length is right around 3.6.

Sell it and start over. Too many quality 300 win mags laying around to fuss with a lemon.
Also- a dealer could get that to a repair center in far less than 6 months, mistakes happen and sako/Beretta usa will fix it

Sell it and start over. Too many quality 300 win mags laying around to fuss with a lemon.
Also- a dealer could get that to a repair center in far less than 6 months, mistakes happen and sako/Beretta usa will fix it
You could always use a throating reamer to open it up a bit. I'm not familiar with CIP specs on a 300WM but a Sako is a fine rifle. I'd try to get them to fix it or throat it properly yourself before tossing it.

First question would be: how does it shoots factory ammo? I understand the argument : yes, but what about all that unused empty space in front of the projectile on the front of the mag?

But if the rifle shoots well with projectiles seated a bit deeper ( like the hornady precision hunter) then why not carrying on like that?.

Also, did another forum member encounter the same issue with their sako s20?

Yeah that's what I'm curious of, how has other s20 300's been in this regard. Picked this one up at Cabelas and looks to be an earlier model as to the serial number. The biggest thing is that it limits reloading with a lot of modern mid to higher bc bullets,

Recent Posts