chamber and throat cleaning

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by erndog105, Nov 18, 2009.

1. erndog105

erndog105 Member

A lot has been written about bore cleaning but I would like to know more about chamber and throat cleaning. 1) Does a bore guide restrict throat cleaning? 2) what tools are needed to for this type of cleaning? 3) How important is cleaninig in this area? Anything else I need to know? Thanks. I am new to precision rifle shooting and have really appreciated all the knowledge here.

2. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

Erndog.....Sometimes carbon can build up in the throat area and cause accuracy problems by tearing up the bullet. You can remedy this by soaking the area with a patch saturated with Kroil, Hopes, or somthing similar that will not harm the bore. Let it soak for a couple of days if necessary, then wrap a patch around a bore brush that fits snugly and rotate the cleaning rod. If the patch comes out black from a previously cleaned bore, you know you have done some good. As far as the chamber goes, I like to use a 410 shotgun cotton brush and rotate with some Kroil or hoppes applied. Good luck......Rich:)

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Bore guides dont restrict throat cleaning. They center and guide the rod into the throat and bore. A general cleaning with a good copper and powder remover should get your throat clean. I use Bore Tech eliminator and Wipeout. I usually start with Bore Tech to get most of the fouling out and then finish up with one or two soakings with Wipeout which is a spray-in foam cleaner. It will get your bore and throat totally free of copper and remove most of the powder. If I want to remove all the powder, I found that Montana Extreme Copper Cream is good at that. The directions i got from a product tech was to put the cream on a patch and run it to the muzzle but not all the way out, pull it back and then push and pull it back and forth a few times and repeat with more patches until the patches come out white. There are some other good powder removers as well.

For chambers I use a larege cal brush and wrap a large patch around it and twist it in the chamber now and then.

Hope that helps,

Mark