Short Range 30/30

Wow, I'll have to check out the ectech's as well...

Both eyes open is what they say on there Web site...

That's a real bouns for my hunting thing since things happen pretty fast in the thick buck brush... Ha

Actually I'm going to look at all the information provided on this thread...

I'm so excited to get back into the pack-able lever actions,,, there so well balanced and fun to shoot...

$20 Cnd funds for Winchester 170gr ammo... Even the 150's fit the bill...

My old trapper friend """Windy Bones""" packed a 30/30 Winchester his whole life... Lots of Moose,,, Elk,,, Deer,,, Sheep,,, Wolves and Cats... Windy pretty much lived off the land with his 2 Horses and a old cabin in the back woods...

55 years till a Rattle Snake took him. At least he went doing the thing he loved most... The Wilds...

Old Windy didn't want to be found when he passed on,,, he wanted the critters of the forest to reap the rewards of a life well lived... Ha

Of course there are a few other stories like this that I can share on another thread...

Life behind a 30/30 comes with so many flavours...

Cheers from the North

Last edited:
.......Both eyes open is what they say on there Web site...

So far the simplicity is what I've liked. Sawed off a 17HMR, put the sight on, and within just a few shots my partners 4 year old Grandson was busting balloons to 75 yards, and was soon after a serious threat to squirrels around the place.

It wouldn't surprise me to find even mounted ahead of the ejection port on the 94's eye relief would still be good to go.

30/30's dont have to be "short ra
morning E-otech's r very good sights. have 3 of them
on my coyote shotguns. justme gbot tum
The one in the picture I shot it 650 yards with a 3030 Marlin hand me down from my grandfather the it did great
nge rifles"--- I wouldn't call them long range though for sure, but very capable mid range would be a good way to put it.

I have a marlin with a fixed 4x scope that shoots the 165ftx bullets at 2400fps

At 300y that's still almost 1900fps with over 1200ft lbs with about 1.5' drop from a 100y zero

At 400 its moving about 1700fps with just over 1000 ft lbs, but drop is almost 4 feet

Hey Don and Harpec, you guys are talking about my setup exactly!!!
I'm on this forum to learn, but when it comes to Winchester 94 30WCF I think I can jump into the conversation!
Mine is a Win 94 1942 .30wcf, I have a Bushnell trs25 red dot mounted just ahead of the receiver, works awesome! I forget the name of the rail I got (I will check and post the brand on the weekend) anyways it's a no modification rail for reflex/red dot/small LER scopes. so far it's held zero for about 3 years and about 200 rnds of ammo. the lovely Winchester balance didn't change a bit either!
My wife loves this gun (so do I), it's easy to handle and easy to hit with too.
Carsyn from Manitoba

I've been using the Burris Fast Fire 2 for a long time. Better sights by far available these days.

I especially like them with kids. No eye dominance, or relief issues. No having to work out front and rear sights. Having hits and fun much sooner.
I've got a model 94 with octagon barrel, only having a dovetail. Any idea what mount would be required to mount the Burris Fast Fire on it?

Well that's a plus for those optics...

Mount just ahead of the action,,, I should of looked closer at my Nephews tactical Red Dot on his AR... It was super fast to get onto target,,, crystal clear...

Awesome idea since it keeps the Winchester lever action idea on the table...

One of our club shooters to the East of us is hunting again this year with his old school 30/30,,, he returned to using his about 7 years ago and has never looked back,,, he started training his Horse to shoot off of with a 22 rimfire,,, then worked it up to the lever action...

All of the ponys in his fleet that is...

They stop when they see the game and stay planted for the shot,,, its almost like they are expecting the shots,,, I think his Horses enjoy hunting more than he does... Ha

Good times soooooon to follow.

I ran a dirty 30 for a long time. When I started shooting Hornady Leverevolution with 160 it was wow. Peep sight and fiberoptic front made a huge difference. Out of my rifle 336 it was 3" high at 100 on at 200 and 12" low at 300. As a friend used to say "That'll Dooooo"

Hi, I have a 1950 marlin 30/30 with a 24" barrel. It shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards with 150 sierra spbt at 2850 fps.i use a 4x16x44 with a see threw mount, so I have iron sights too.

What powder are you using to get 2850 out of a 30-30? My Winchester is only a 20", but I can't get close the that even with 130s. I always thought a 150 at 2400-2450 was pretty hot.

Another to look for is Savage99. Factory federal 170np are the real deal. If you want more snap then reload some ttsx 130's. You can drill and tap them and put a 1-4 leupold on there... Very very nice package

I just looked at a few new lever actions today.

The Mosbuerg 30/30 non pistol grip and the grip one,,, $678 for the non,,, $712 with grip...

They had a Marlin 336 with curved pistol grip /W optic for $788,,, they have the up-date model for $898,,, the new Winchesters start at the $1100 price tag on up,,, the Henery 30/30 was $1130...

Of course this is Cnd fund costs,,, about 30% off in Usd dollars...

I'll hold off till my 1 rifle sells,,, then game plan from there...

Man oh man are they sweet to handle,,, pretty light and fast at pump-jacking the lever... Super smooth and fast to swing onto target... What's not to like about old school... LOL

The Mosbuerg rifles have ok wood,,, but I'd sand it down to stain it dark rose wood cherry to high light the wood grain...

The Marlin 336 with checkering and curved pistol grip is wow factor fore sure...

I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight... Ha...

They had 2 Browning BLR's,,, but neither of them were chambered in 30/30... The cost on them was threw the roof,,, way past my needs... Don't get me right or wrong,,, they are nice looking rifles,,, but its not the category I want to be in...

Frugal fun and simple is the road I want to be on,,, bush banger rifles are way more fun,,, keep things up close and personal hunting is alot of fun,,, and frugal ammo to boot...

I sure like the idea of the fast track dot sights,,, looking threw a few of them was like looking at a brand new world...

Cheers from the North as this pre planning is just getting started...

I've got a model 94 with octagon barrel, only having a dovetail. Any idea what mount would be required to mount the Burris Fast Fire on it?

I think the one I have is called the Pearson Tac rail, but as I said previously I'm not 100% sure, I will check on the weekend and post it on this thread as there seems to be a few guys interested. I do know that the same guy made rails for both 94 and 92 type rifles of all flavours, even Rossi rifles.

mine is real fast and easy, and that 165 gr hard cast WFN just plain crushes deer, easy on the brass and shoulder too!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.