Short Barrreled 300wm

I just picked up a 30 nosler with a 1:9 22" proof barrel. Shooting the 215gr Berger's at 2812fps. Loaded with 82.3gr retumbo. OAL sitting at 3.565
3904E7B6-081F-4CE1-9932-8CC1F391559B.jpeg

IME going from 24-22 you'll love between 50-75 fps total, we've done actual tests of cutting barrels down. If it'll feel right and balance well and be shootable for you I'd do it in a heart beat. You'll pick up a bit of blast, that would be of more concern for me than a few fps. But, that's just me. My 7WSM has a 23" barrel on it and it's just fine.

When it comes to speeds it's always important to look at data taken from one barrel, IE barrels that were actually cut down. Too many variables when it comes to different guns that have different barrel lengths to be any kind of a basis for how much will be lost.

Years ago, if one had a shorter than "norm" barrel, but wanted to get good speed/accuracy/hunting performance, it was always " heavy bullets and slow powders". Most folk went the other route with "light bullets & faster powder". I don't know that it ever made any difference...? Have fun though buddy!

I dont know why everybody says you get big increase in blast. Never noticed a difference hunting or range, maybe with a break. As i posted earlier 20" 300WM it is heavy barrel so maybe the thick shoulders help.

Im running a 18" 300win on my dt A2. Shooting the 208 eldm at 2740 fps with Retumbo. I love it. Its a hammer. Was running my suppressor on it but i had trouble with coldbore shot so i switched to a break
D3D35C60-B6AE-40BD-9BB3-B913B6C6818F.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts