Tikka 300WM

TMill308

A friend of mine bought his son a new Tikka T3x Lite for an upcoming Elk hunt in Colorado. He asked me to mount the scope and sight the rifle in. I mounted the scope, checked the stock screws, and cleaned the barrel. He brought a box of Hornady Precision Hunter loaded with the 200ELDX bullets. I measured the loaded rounds and they were at about 3.336" OAL, which I thought was really short but they did fit in the mag, just barely. I began breaking in the barrel with some leftover Factory ammo that I had, which was surprisingly pretty quick. After nine rounds, cleaning every three rounds, the barrel was not copper fouling hardly at all, so I cleaned it again, and began shooting for a group. Ishot a group with the Hornady ammo, and then moved the scope to the center of the target, let the barrel cool and shot four more shots. The rifle kicks pretty hard, and took some focus to keep from finching. I managed to put the last four into a group that was about an inch and a quarter, which I thought was pretty good, for a Factory rifle with Factory ammo. All in all not a bad day, I had a new barrel put on my Palma rifle, so I was breaking it in also, and getting some zeros. It was very hot so I was able to alternate between the two of them with cleaning and shooting. After I got back home I checked the length of a 200 ELDX loaded to touch and it was about 3.600, which is about a .264 jump.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 103
tikka's 30cal barrels are mostly 1:11 twist my 300 wsm did not like anything 180gr or bigger. shoots the 165's great .5 to .75 groups with barns ttsx factory ammo if I do my part. Great rifles for the money

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts