Short barrelled suppressed

3warbird

Anyone here shooting a shorter barrelled suppressed rifle for coyotes and or whitetail? Please reply with details and pics if possible.

Building a 18in m24 contour fluted and threaded 243 win, Manners folder, on a trued 700 action.

Just looking for guidance from the ones already running this way.

My "go to" coyote gun, as of late, has been my Kelbly 22-250 that I had shortened up to 18in and I run it with a SAS Barricade can.

Keep in mind, when you shorten them up that far, even suppressed, they're still fairly loud. I don't know that I'd consider mine hearing safe without some kind of ear protection. My 223AI has a 22in barrel and it's very quiet, but it doesn't use nearly as much powder as my 22-250 either.
Shorty 250.jpg

Shooting the Fieldcraft short barrel suppressed in 6CM for wolves and coyotes. no pics available but I really like the results. Shoots < MOA to 500 years in first factory ammo sight-in. BTW, the ELDX 108 Match has been very fur friendly for oncoming wolves and coyotes. No exit!

Shooting with shorter barrels can make for better suppression. That of course is due to the bullet not having as much velocity coming out the end. As long as your can is rated for the caliber / barre length you are looking at then you will be good to go.

1156414E-EF69-4828-8AD3-968D8D9139B5.jpeg
I'm currently using a 21" 243 for antelope and deer down to some way out there prairie dogs. Suppressed and short barrel is a pleasure to shoot. Usually I shoot 70grain dogtown for coyotes and pdogs, but currently hunting with 100gr Sierra gamekings with varget with 2850mv. Shorter may lose some speed but well worth it to me.

I'm probably on the extreme side of what you're asking for but this is what I've used most for whitetails over the past 3 years, 9" 300 blackout. Suppressed subsonic hunting is my favorite when sitting in a tree stand. It's definitely not a long range rig but 100yds and in, it's a hammer.
D0447007-1BA5-420B-8BA5-CC87835D88B9.jpg

View attachment 159140 I'm currently using a 21" 243 for antelope and deer down to some way out there prairie dogs. Suppressed and short barrel is a pleasure to shoot. Usually I shoot 70grain dogtown for coyotes and pdogs, but currently hunting with 100gr Sierra gamekings with varget with 2850mv. Shorter may lose some speed but well worth it to me.

Great looking rig you have there. Care to share the details?

My 300 upper is a Noveske 10.5" barrel with a pistol length gas tube and I run an AAC 7.62SD can on it. My sub handloads are real close to 1020fps with 210gr SMK's. I was hitting a 4"steel plate at 300 yards the other evening with an Eotech XPS2-2(about 50% of the time). My hold over seemed to be really close to the calculated 35 moa. I was holding at a spot that looked to be about 12" above the plate from the bottom of the reticle.
If you think you want to shoot anything with subs any further than 100-150 yds, you may want to rethink it. I don't think you'll get much, if any, bullet development out of a 200+grain bullet at those velocities. I shot a small white tail this year with mine and 125gr Noslers at about 80 yards, I don't think I'd want to go any further than 100yds with that bullet.

Great looking rig you have there. Care to share the details?
Thanks
Shilen DGR, 21" carbonsix barrel, Lane scorpion 556 suppressor, timney calvin elite, manners eh1a in arctic molded. I mixed a matching duracoat for all metal parts.

I also have a similar build in .204 ruger but 16.5" barrel that's a little heavier profile. But I don't think it'd even be legal for deer lol.
FF5E8505-13CF-49CE-BA4C-27E2C593AAFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks
Shilen DGR, 21" carbonsix barrel, Lane scorpion 556 suppressor, timney calvin elite, manners eh1a in arctic molded. I mixed a matching duracoat for all metal parts.

I also have a similar build in .204 ruger but 16.5" barrel that's a little heavier profile. But I don't think it'd even be legal for deer lol.View attachment 159167
That is very similar to the build I'm working on, glad it's working out. Beautiful rifle

i'm building one right now. have the stock and action so far. i'm going with a 16.5" inch, 1:10 twist in .308 for hunting whitetails suppressed. i'm gonna use a m24 contour bartlien from bugholes. might have it spiral fluted to cut down on weight a tad.

i'm building one right now. have the stock and action so far. i'm going with a 16.5" inch, 1:10 twist in .308 for hunting whitetails suppressed. i'm gonna use a m24 contour bartlien from bugholes. might have it spiral fluted to cut down on weight a tad.
I'm planning my next similar to this in purpose only in 7nn08

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.