Short barreled magnum for supressor use.

Show me your short barreled magnums for suppressor use. What velocities you getting with your chosen bullet. Thinking 20" 7 prc. Zermatt origin. Prefit barrel TBD. Trigger tech. Manners with floor plate.
I currently have a 20" 7 PRC and it is getting 2790 with Factory 180gr ELD-M though it is speeding up as I put rounds through it. My 18" 6.5 PRC shoots the 125gr HHT at 3075 fps.

View attachment 511537
I Love me a nice comfy 338 for all things that walk.. This one is no exception
338 EDGE
BAT VAMPIRE
CARBON 6 10 TW 20"
MANNERS PH BLOODSHOT FORGED
TI PRO BRAKE ( I SHOOT IT W/TBAC 338 ULTRA ALWAYS)
230 ELD-X@ 3085 fps
BIX N' ANDY TAC SPORT PROX
UM DBM
PRETTY SLICK SET UP REALLY
8.8# WITH NX8 ON IT

Don't see too many of the Forged Bloodshot camo but I will admit that I am a fan.

IMG_8063.jpeg

Attachments

• 20231122_195328.jpg
    20231122_195328.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I'm looking to put together a shorty elk thumper to run with a Tbac dominus. Max 30 cal. The dominus ratings show for 300wsm class, 16"min bbl, 300 winny, 18"
Wby/nosler class 22 and prc class 26. Is like to run around 16-20" max for hunting thick timber. What would you guys go with?
Right now, I'm leaning towards a16" wsm..,

I'm looking to put together a shorty elk thumper to run with a Tbac dominus. Max 30 cal. The dominus ratings show for 300wsm class, 16"min bbl, 300 winny, 18"
Wby/nosler class 22 and prc class 26. Is like to run around 16-20" max for hunting thick timber. What would you guys go with?
Action length? I usually don't recommend a Sherman cartridge, but a 300 Sherman mega holds 86gr of powder, and should perform like a short barrel 300 win mag. Don't want to f with a wildcat, yes 300wsm.

Freebore for bullet choice will dictate cartridge length, therefor action length needed. In a short barrel pipe, def don't want to be robbing powder capacity by jamming heavy bullets deep.

I don't quite understand how TBAC rates their supressor at a shorter barrel on 30Nos/Wby VS a prc. Prc holds less powder than the previous two choices, strange.

Good luck with your quest!

Action length? I usually don't recommend a Sherman cartridge, but a 300 Sherman mega holds 86gr of powder, and should perform like a short barrel 300 win mag. Don't want to f with a wildcat, yes 300wsm.

Freebore for bullet choice will dictate cartridge length, therefor action length needed. In a short barrel pipe, def don't want to be robbing powder capacity by jamming heavy bullets deep.

I don't quite understand how TBAC rates their supressor at a shorter barrel on 30Nos/Wby VS a prc. Prc holds less powder than the previous two choices, strange.

Good luck with your quest!
First thought was on a tikka action. Likely a long action of whatever flavor. As far as ratings, I agree it's not exactly intuitive, so I emailed Zak at TB and got this answer.
B28CC8BC-D9D3-4B97-A472-4F9439D4A137.jpeg

Id consider a 18" 7 SAUM.

If you're set on a 30, Do a 18" 300 wsm.
Drifters Gear has ADG brass on sale.

First thought was on a tikka action. Likely a long action of whatever flavor. As far as ratings, I agree it's not exactly intuitive, so I emailed Zak at TB and got this answer. View attachment 513777
Tikka with a 3.4" mag box, I'd go 300 mega as it'll be around 3.3 with long heavy bullets if that's what you're running, if you want max horsepower.

I have built wsm/Saums on Tikka in past, and I don't care for the 1" tenon with 555 chamber base, seems like the 535 prc does a lil better handling psi wise. If was doing it, I'd prob look into necking up 7prc to 30cal. My friend runs 7prc on a Tikka w/ factory dbm and it runs very well.

The 300 mega and 30-7prc both have 85ish gr capacity, so would be near same performance. Adg 300wsm is 80 gr once fireformed, to my knowledge. A short barrel Wsm is going to suffer velocity wise with anything over 200gr. The 200.20x is a good bullet, like a short bearing 215 hybrid. The 185 otm or juggernaut also perform very well and should run 2850+ in the short pipe with rl16. 65-66gr will likely net good accuracy around 2900/2950fps but that might be a bit spicy on a Tikka. This is why I'd go to the larger capacity case, buys you a lil buffer on psi.

I have quite a few suppressors made for large 30 cal rigs and I can say honestly that my two favorites on 18-26" rigs are the ultra 9 and Magnus.

I would rather have an over built can than a barely working unit that is maxed out,, then i cant use it on my larger stuff.. like an 18" 300 RUM?

The ultra 9 and magnus are my favorite all around cans for large 30's and the magnus by far is the quietest! (I've seen and tested a pile of them side by side)

My opinion and that's all it is, if i was to build an uber lite'sh 18" 300 magnum in 5 pound bare rifle weight class, the ultra 9 would live on it chamber it in a 300 prc 300 win or 30 nos and send it.. the quality brass and usable case cap for all of those with no special dies or reamers trumps a lot of other options.

I have quite a few suppressors made for large 30 cal rigs and I can say honestly that my two favorites on 18-26" rigs are the ultra 9 and Magnus.

I would rather have an over built can than a barely working unit that is maxed out,, then i cant use it on my larger stuff.. like an 18" 300 RUM?

The ultra 9 and magnus are my favorite all around cans for large 30's and the magnus by far is the quietest! (I've seen and tested a pile of them side by side)

My opinion and that's all it is, if i was to build an uber lite'sh 18" 300 magnum in 5 pound bare rifle weight class, the ultra 9 would live on it chamber it in a 300 prc 300 win or 30 nos and send it
How about a 20" 7 RUM w/ TBAC 338 ULTRA?

My opinion and that's all it is, if i was to build an uber lite'sh 18" 300 magnum in 5 pound bare rifle weight class, the ultra 9 would live on it chamber it in a 300 prc 300 win or 30 nos and send it.. the quality brass and usable case cap for all of those with no special dies or reamers trumps a lot of other options.
I bought a dominus right before the magnus came out. Was going to pick up an ultra series, but the dominus was in stock and I jumped on it. That 18" 300 winny kinda feels good. 22" 30 nos would **** n git but is on the longer end than I'm really wanting. I know it's almost blasphemous but, Quality factory ammo is looking better and better to me. I just don't have the time to load…

I just got all the stuff to do a 18" Sherman 7 Mega in an Anti-X XM. Undecided on stock still but maybe a XLR Mag chassis or another Manners. Most likely will wear the Ultra 5 or 7.

I bought a dominus right before the magnus came out. Was going to pick up an ultra series, but the dominus was in stock and I jumped on it. That 18" 300 winny kinda feels good. 22" 30 nos would **** n git but is on the longer end than I'm really wanting. I know it's almost blasphemous but, Quality factory ammo is looking better and better to me. I just don't have the time to load…
Its what you got so run it.. if it was me an 18" 300 winny would get the vote over a 16" any kind of wsm