Short barrel rifle

brandon327

Has anyone ever built a 7mm stw with a 22" barrel ? What kind of velocity should I expect versus a longer barrel ? I am trying to build a long range lightweight mountain rifle. I am think a 22" barrel with a magnum or varmint contour and fluted with a brake.

Well from my extrapolated data for a 7 rum, about 47fps per inch from 26.

I don't have a 7 stw but I do have a 7 rum that's been cut down to 22, I'll let you know how it does when the scope arrives and load data commences.

Has anyone ever built a 7mm stw with a 22" barrel ? What kind of velocity should I expect versus a longer barrel ? I am trying to build a long range lightweight mountain rifle. I am think a 22" barrel with a magnum or varmint contour and fluted with a brake.

You will lose enough velocity that it wont be much better that a 7mm Short mag (7 WSM or 7 SAUM)

They can be built on a Mod 7 or a short action and a 23 to 24" barrel will not be any longer than the long action and a 22" barrel. also with the shorter cartridge ( 7 WSM or SAUM) it is 3/4" shorter than the 7 STW with the same length barrel so effectively you gain 3/4" inch of usable barrel bore.

So combined with the shorter action the overall length of the rifle can be very compact while using affectively a longer barrel (23 to 24").

Just a though

J E CUSTOM

I couldn't see doing it. It would be like building a dual turbo nitrous injected big block and running street tires. It would look cool, make a lot of noise and smoke but not do any good at the track or street.

In a lightweight, I'd go with the SA rifle chambered in a WSM and 24 inches. Or my preference, a Long action in 280 AI, 24 inch tube and no break.

Good luck with it.

You're going to waste a tremendous amount of powder and have the muzzle blast of a black powder howitzer if you do. You'd be far better off going with a minimum of 26" with perhapa a featherweight barrel.

If you really want to shoot something with such a short barrel in a 7mm you'd be money ahead going with the .284win, 280 or 280AI, 700-08. Personally I'd go 260 Rem in such a short rig.

You are only talking about a savings of probably not over eight oz anyhos and to me it's just not worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.