Short 338- what should I be considering that I'm overlooking?

You're going to love shooting with the 338 Ultra - It's one of my favorite cans. At the distance you'd be hunting, 338-06 would be the easy button (although AI isn't hard to do and would give you a little extra velocity).

I have had the Ultra for years and it swaps between a couple rifles. It is a lot lighter than others I have or have used even though it's so big. It is great.

I am leaning straight '06- I Ackley treated my 30-06 and it's good but I buy Lapua for it and wanted the brass to last. Because ranges will be so short with this I will probably buy whatever the best non-Lapua brass that I can find is at the time I pull the trigger, and I won't be looking to squeeze out every drop of performance. I will want the bullet to expand properly though so if I need to go Ackley to do that with a short barrel I will, but at 200 yards I doubt that it will lose enough velocity to prevent expansion.

I suppose I could do the standard and if it ends up needing more I can chuck it up in the lathe and run an Ackley reamer through it.