Short 338- what should I be considering that I'm overlooking?

jpfrog

First- I appreciate all of your opinions but I am only focusing on a 338-06 or AI cartridge here. I already have a donor 700 action with a PTG one piece bolt with a standard ('06) face. I am not building a magnum or a lapua, and because it's a long action I'm not building a federal. I also have a TBAC 338Ultra can. The only thing I haven't done yet is to acquire and chamber a barrel.

My goal for this is to have a short, handy rifle that can handle the length of my can and still keep things relatively agile. It's a long can- roughly 10 inches, so I'm thinking of going to 16.5"-18" on the barrel. Anything longer and I lose my priority of being a short, handy, and agile rifle. I don't need to poke at along distances. 200 yards, max, or I'll bring a different rifle. Hogs, deer, bobcats, yotes will be the likely recipients of whatever projectile gets sent. It'll mostly just be a do-all handy truck gun for when out at the ranch doing maintenance and maybe fishing. Quick handling, fast shots with low magnification (if any) and short distances.

Does anyone on here have experience with such a tool? Again, I fully realize that these parameters do not equate to a long range performance build...I have other things for that already. I am mostly concerned with ironing out any potential issues, whatever they may be, prior to getting started on this build. Powders, brass, projectiles, etc.- and will the speeds I'm able to reach still allow for projectile expansion? Will the powder fully be consumed on a short barrel like that or will I be blowing unburned powder into my can and potentially harming it? What else am I overlooking?

Thanks!

338 Sherman has plenty of pop with with an '06 bolt face. A 24" barrel will run a 250 Berger well over 2800 and loss per inch of barrel length is less than 15' down to 22" but likely tapers off a little faster under 20". Running powders faster than 4350 would be the ticket, especially with something like a 200 class mono. Reamer and dies in stock and use any 270 or 280 brass.

First- I appreciate all of your opinions but I am only focusing on a 338-06 or AI cartridge here. I already have a donor 700 action with a PTG one piece bolt with a standard ('06) face. I am not building a magnum or a lapua, and because it's a long action I'm not building a federal. I also have a TBAC 338Ultra can. The only thing I haven't done yet is to acquire and chamber a barrel.

My goal for this is to have a short, handy rifle that can handle the length of my can and still keep things relatively agile. It's a long can- roughly 10 inches, so I'm thinking of going to 16.5"-18" on the barrel. Anything longer and I lose my priority of being a short, handy, and agile rifle. I don't need to poke at along distances. 200 yards, max, or I'll bring a different rifle. Hogs, deer, bobcats, yotes will be the likely recipients of whatever projectile gets sent. It'll mostly just be a do-all handy truck gun for when out at the ranch doing maintenance and maybe fishing. Quick handling, fast shots with low magnification (if any) and short distances.

Does anyone on here have experience with such a tool? Again, I fully realize that these parameters do not equate to a long range performance build...I have other things for that already. I am mostly concerned with ironing out any potential issues, whatever they may be, prior to getting started on this build. Powders, brass, projectiles, etc.- and will the speeds I'm able to reach still allow for projectile expansion? Will the powder fully be consumed on a short barrel like that or will I be blowing unburned powder into my can and potentially harming it? What else am I overlooking?

Thanks!
Brother, just do it! 🤣

Yeah, I know- coming here and asking for opinions can be a painful experience sometimes. But that's why I laid out all of the parameters first 😂
Yep, but you know you will always get them despite your first criteria.
First- I appreciate all of your opinions but I am only focusing on a 338-06 or AI cartridge here.
This is why I never ask what rifle to build or buy. Good luck with your build, and have fun with it.

You "May" have Issues with, UN-burned Powder in the Can with anything, less than, 20 inch barrels,. IDK for, sure, tho
When, I had, a .338 Win Mag., 25" Bbl.,.. the 210 Nosler Partitions @ almost, 3,000 FPS and 225 grain Hornadys worked well on,.. Deer and Elk.
The Rifle's GONE,.. but,..the Flinch,.. REMAINS

Last edited:
I think it should do the trick. What reamer did you go with, and do you know what bullet was used and how it performed?
He ended up shooting 210 gr swifts. it shot really well i cant remember the velocity off the top of my head.. it was actually very good

he had the reamer, dies and all that and wanted to run Lapua brass

Last edited:
338 Sherman has plenty of pop with with an '06 bolt face. A 24" barrel will run a 250 Berger well over 2800 and loss per inch of barrel length is less than 15' down to 22" but likely tapers off a little faster under 20". Running powders faster than 4350 would be the ticket, especially with something like a 200 class mono. Reamer and dies in stock and use any 270 or 280 brass.
Rich I had nothing but good experiences with the 280 Sherman, and the 6.5SS looks to be killer way out there if I ever get around to finishing load development for it. For this one though I think I'm going to focus on the '06 or maybe the AI chamber and maybe start off with some factory ammo (if I can find any) until I figure out what components I will try to stock up on.

Did he go Ackley or leave the '06 dimensions alone (except the neck)?
yes it was an Ackley ..

pretty easy to build rounds...

He ran the neck only through the die with 338 expander on stem .. one slip through and wham done .. load and go

I set it up with pretty good crush on close to get full and good form

Thanks!
Go 16.5" you won't regret it, and 99% of the powder will burn in the first several inches of barrel.
Just verify that the 338 ultra is good at said barrel length

Rich I had nothing but good experiences with the 280 Sherman, and the 6.5SS looks to be killer way out there if I ever get around to finishing load development for it. For this one though I think I'm going to focus on the '06 or maybe the AI chamber and maybe start off with some factory ammo (if I can find any) until I figure out what components I will try to stock up on.
Sure thing.....I mentioned the Sherman only because you mentioned A.I. and the Sherman is basically that on steroids with '06 head sized brass.
Good luck