Shopping for a LR scope in $500-$750 range

ralfus

I'll be looking for a variable scope for my Sako Finnbear 7mm Dakota. I was looking at the Leupold VX3 LR in 4.5-14 with maybe the B&C reticle. Using this as a reference, I was hoping the hive could suggest some other alternatives in the under $750 range.

Gloss finish would be a big plus if possible to match the Sako's beautiful bluing, but it's not critical. I can Duracoat in gloss if needed. Side focus preferred. Ballistic reticle preferred.

Rifle will be used for LR shooting and also elk hunting. Burris Signature rings for elevation.

I am not opposed to used optics to stay within budget, found one shop with Zeiss Conquest 2nds for around $760.
Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X with DOA for around $750
Nikon Monarch 4-16X for $500
Burris Fullfield II Tactical 4-16 for $450

Last edited:
Depending on how far your wanting to shoot I put a Leupold VX3 with the CDS system on a 7mm mag. and its dead nuts out to 800yds. I give 640.00 for mine but their down to about 595.00 now.gun)

There's also Clearidge Optics. They make a 4.5-22X50mm scope for around $650. Afraid they're matte finish, but available with a mil-dot reticle.

They're SFP and MOA dials with the mil reticle. So they don't conform to the latest trends in tacticool hardware. But a lot of us shot pretty well with those "handicaps" for a long time.

If your interested I have a Leupold Premier Series, Diamond coat lenses, side focus model #53490 w/4" sunshade, original box, manuals, like new condition, no dings, scratches nothing. Including shipping and insurance $699. New retailed for $1100. PM if interested.

Just purchased a 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest from the guys at Cameraland NY:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/zeiss-conquest-riflescope-blowout-sale-57319/

5214909920 4.5-14X50 CONQUEST #20 RET $599.99

Target turrets which you can always swap with one from KI if you wish, and it's a better scope than a VX-3, at least in my side-by-side comparison. Normal retail is $300 more so it's a heck of a deal.

I hear you. The last few days I've been leaning strongly to a 4.5-14X50 Conquest with Z800 and maybe turrets. The 50mm has 50% more elevation built in. I'm cash poor right now and will have to put it on my wishlist, but I'd rather have the time to pick exactly what I want. I'm leaning towards buying 2. I have a .308 needing good glass too. I've been very pleased with a Conquest 3.5-10 on my main hunting rifle

Thanks for the comments folks.

Followup, thanks for the help folks. I traded one scope and some cash for 2 scopes that would suit my needs on 2 of my rifles. Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch for my 308 and an older Burris 3-12 Signature for my 7mm Sako.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.