Best scope in the $500 range

ewoelk

I just got a new Savage model 11 chambered in 308 that will primarily be used for hunting, but I also plan on learning on how to shoot longer range with it. I would like to get out to 800-1000 yards for practice.

Right now my budget for a scope is $500ish. I'm heavily leaning towards the Vortex HS-T 4-16x44.

Am I on the right track? Or should I consider some other optics?

I'd say that's a good choice. MSRP on that scope with MOAR reticle runs in the neighborhood of $700+ though. I suspect you will find some gently handled used ones for somewhere around the price you're looking at.

I agree with the above posts. For fixed, consider the SWFA offerings for under $300 (Classic | SWFA). In addition their classic variable in 3-15x42 tactical rifle scope for under $700 with 36 mils (121.68 MOA) of elevation adjustment and OK for .50 cal is a lot of scope for the money, if you're looking for an FFP.

[ame]https://youtu.be/9fe4l_CAthI?t=8[/ame]

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm hoping they go on sale at Cabelas soon. I have a few gift cards to use. I just need to figure out if I want the MOA or MRAD reticle.

It sounds like a great scope with all the research I have done. I'm in the same boat and have decided on the exact same scope in the sfp with the moar. But up here north of the border I gotta save $900-1000 for it. I like it better than the hslr because of the exposed windage turret. Good luck.

I have been on the same search as you for a month now (approx. $500 scope).

I was dead set on the vortex hs-t 4x16 until I read a few threads on a different forum that were pretty negative on vortex in general.

The vortex as a lot of features for the money and basically everything I want. I really just wonder how it would compare optically side by side a leupold vx2 or vx3 in low light conditions. It seems like the only thing I can find online is opinions from people that own one or the other so they are obviously biased. I had the opportunity to look through a vortex pst and was very impressed and I think that I would be satisfied with it. I also had the opportunity to look through a vortex diamondback and I wouldnt put it on my redrider BB gun.

I contacted Vortex about the glass they use in the viper series of scopes. They said that it is the same for the HS, LR, HS-t, and PST. Just pick the features you want and pay up. Vortex has a good marketing point in the $500 range. I personally like your pick. More features than Leopold for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.