Shooting without a bipod

petenz

I've been moving away from a bipod for my shooting/hunting, I think that using a backpack as a rest instead has some advantages. Here's a film about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybt1mLrRLwo[/ame]

Nice film. I would love to save a pound on mountain hunting trips, I have thought about this before but always assumed that accuracy would be compromised- it would be worth testing at the range.

Never used a bipod, don't need the extra weight. A tree limb works great and I don't have to carry it and they are FREE!

Great video Petenz says it all. Thanks for taking the time to make it, every serious hunter should see it! :)

Excellent video as always ... and thanks for sharing.

With or without bipod, the NUT behind the trigger remains the biggest factor. :D:cool:gun)

For as long as human factor is involved, it's a complimentary between the shooter and the equipment(s), including adaptability to overcome various shooting situations and terrains.

I have found other uses of bipod too ...

1024091042b.jpg

Last edited:
I have always preferred shooting off bags/backpack. If the bipod does not in an area because of the terrain it becomes a hindrance to making the shot. Also my hunting usually requires miles of hiking. The bipod is heavy and gets in the way in brush and timber. Shooting to 1500 yards off a pack and a small rear bag has not been a problem.

Steve

I use a bipod for the long shots. I find it way more stable and can get on target much quicker. When a backpack is used, it is used to stabilize the butt of the stock. Also, the only time I have ever been scoped (cut on eye brow) is when shooting off a backpack.

I use a bipod for the long shots. I find it way more stable and can get on target much quicker. When a backpack is used, it is used to stabilize the butt of the stock. Also, the only time I have ever been scoped (cut on eye brow) is when shooting off a backpack.

I'll bet it only happened once! lol

I shot 4 position small bore through high school,several friends continued in college.For 3 position you used a shooting sling,which with practice we could almost equal scores as prone.Hunting I have shot alot of game on the fly and have taken 6 pt bulls at 578 and 650 standing resting on a moutain maple and a small fir off limb.Shot off pack with bipod and used snipod to get out of waist deep snow on muleys.A Atlas at 11 oz. QD is totally part of my kit,just as my binos and laser. Id leave my gps at camp first.For LR I have hides that I climb to where I really need my bipod to cover the terrian.Antelope hunting it is a big bonus also,theres a reason you see varmit hunters with bipods on.

Good video.

The problem with bipods is that they are useful under very limited circumstances.

If you aren't hunting from a bench, box blind or nearly dead flat open terrain with little or no foliage their utility is very limited.

For a hunter you need to practice shooting from all sorts of positions using whatever is handy for a rest. I too am big on using tree limbs when they can be found but sometimes they are hard to come by.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.