Shooting while pregnant?

My wife is 6 months pregnant. She loves hunting and shooting but has done neither yet during pregnancy with a gun. All hunting has been with a bow so far. Rifle season starts here in November 16th. Her pregnancy doctor is not a single doctor but rather a group of 4 doctors. So she rotates between them depending on who is available during her visits. Anyways, every time she goes she asks about shooting while pregnant. We have received 3 different answers. One doctor said it is fine. The second doctor said they would not risk it. The third doctor said an occasional shot (hunting as an example) is fine but range shooting should be avoided. I think we have simply decided to play it safe and just not shoot period but I am curious what everyone's thoughts here are or see if anyone else here has any experience with this. Thanks!
My daughter's doctor advised her not to shoot while pregnant because of the noise.

If my wife wanted to shoot while pregnant, and I couldn't convince her to take the season off, I would build her a moderate thumper like a 7x30 Waters or a 358 Federal, equip the thing with a nice soft, thick trapshooter's (1"+) pad AND a suppressor ... and NO D@MNED BRAKE! Developing tissues are fragile. This is not the time to "toughen" anybody up. Blackpowder, yes; Lazzaroni, no. BPC 45-70, yes. RUM's or Weatherby magnums with brakes, no. I give these only as examples of the direction I would look. The concussion of unmoderated high-intensity cartridges is enough to set my own teeth on edge, and I certainly wouldn't want it for an unborn child. There's plenty of good times ahead with cork-guns and wind-up toy bears, airguns and 22's, 410's, a Superposed 20 and that 7x30 of Mom's. And put a nice soft pad on that 20 while you're at it, and shape that stock to reduce felt recoil. You'd be surprised how little recoil it takes to damage tender young flesh and turn people off from shooting. I sported a blue shoulder every year (and hated the shot) until Dad figured it out.

My daughter gave birth last year. While she was pregnant, her doctor advised her to not be around shooting while pregnant to prevent hearing damage to the baby.
My Wife's OBGYN said it was no problem! Her OBGYN had gone shooting at the range multiple times with her own pregnancy's.
Some Doctor's are well known to be ""Wussyies"".
So we went to the shooting range like 10 times average between both boy's exposing them to AR, AK, pistol, sporting clay's, and their hearing is fine, they don't listen! but their hearing is fine.
Water may be an excellent conductor of sound but fat, leather, and Muscle is not! Don't believe me? Just buy two packages of Bacon wrap them around your head and head down to the shooting range and tell me if you can hear anything!
Broken bones will heal, cut's can get stitched, you can buy a hearing aid, But being a huge ol' ""*ussy"" is a life long affliction with no known cure! If the Kid dosen't like it they will kick Her square in the liver and the shooting will be over for the day anyways.

This is very anecdotal so take it for what it is - my wife was 29 weeks pregnant when we went shooting, some .22lr, .223, and a little .308. The next day her water broke at work and we were taken by ambulance to the nearest childrens hospital an hour away. My wife spent the next 2 weeks laying in a hospital bed while they tried to keep my son happy and in the womb. That effort ended and he was born prematurely at 31 weeks by C-section and spent 5 weeks in the NICU. Thank the good Lord he had no major complications or issues due to being premature, but he did develop a condition while in the NICU that was life threatening had it not been quickly identified and treated.

After the fact all the doctors told us that the shooting shouldn't have caused my wife's water to break and shooting is safe while pregnant, but I'm not convinced. I don't think the recoil is any issue, it's the sound concussion that makes me raise an eyebrow.

He turns 7 in 15 days and is perfectly healthy and crazy like any 7 year old boy should be. Greatest blessing of my life!

Doghunter23:
As a physician and avid outdoorsman, I can agree that when a physician isn't familiar with a sport, s/he gives advice against it during pregnancy. I have seen this in horseback riding and running by pregnant women, in particular. Yet I have seen pregnant women run a half marathon and compete in reining events through the eighth month of pregnany with no ill effects.
The ninth month is probably a time for rest and quietude. In the end, every woman needs to make her own decisions.

My wife at 8 months pregnant would sit in truck while I was at range 35+ years ago. "He" would jump a little occasionally from the sound even in the truck with windows rolled up. Fine man that any dad would be proud of but yet he prefers to bowhunt....:eek:

Though since he has been with me when I've killed nice bucks downrange, he is coming around fast on the rifle aspect. He shot a nice doe at just shy of 200 yards which is chip shot I know but when you are a bow hunter, it seems like a "mile" a way. So he bought new scope this winter for his 06 so he can get better target acquisition. Ok, his words not mine which tells you he is reading up on rifles!

So knowing today all the poential concerns of concussion impacts to the womb, I would be very cautious in any decision you make on the most important and joyous gift you will receive in your life.

Doghunter23:
As a physician and avid outdoorsman, I can agree that when a physician isn't familiar with a sport, s/he gives advice against it during pregnancy. I have seen this in horseback riding and running by pregnant women, in particular. Yet I have seen pregnant women run a half marathon and compete in reining events through the eighth month of pregnany with no ill effects.
The ninth month is probably a time for rest and quietude. In the end, every woman needs to make her own decisions.
My guess is you've never had to console a women who has lost her baby after being thrown from a horse.

There are studies that have shown the fetuses are reacting to the noise of firearm discharges. On our force, once a woman tells us she is pregnant, she is no longer allowed to qualify or train with live fire and is not allowed on the live fire ranges. Why take a chance? If pregnant, stick to archery.

Everyone here can give as many anecdotes as they want however you just have to consider the what if. If you drink or do drugs during pregnancy, the odds are your baby will still be fine, however not many people are OK with that. It's obvious from this discussion that we truly don't know the effects of loud sounds on the developing fetus. So why take the chance? If something is wrong with you baby when it is born, will it be worth it wondering the rest of your life if you were the cause. It's 7 months away from a hobby. I guess this makes me a Wussie. I am also a firearm and hunting enthusiast, but if my wife were to get pregnant, I would not take her to the indoor range and would limit her outdoor range time as well

A lot of great suggestion here. Handling anything with lead is a no-no. Add a suppressor for sound. A shooting or stock pad behind the rifle gun would help with recoil. The doctor should give you more than just a "yes or no" answer - have them back up what they are saying with details. I looked at and refer you to the April 9 version of information published in the "wellarmedwoman" website for information on the subject. Noise (sound) was the main concern.

A lot of great suggestion here. Handling anything with lead is a no-no. Add a suppressor for sound. A shooting or stock pad behind the rifle gun would help with recoil. The doctor should give you more than just a "yes or no" answer - have them back up what they are saying with details. I looked at and refer you to the April 9 version of information published in the "wellarmedwoman" website for information on the subject. Noise (sound) was the main concern.
I agree. A suppressor changes everything.

My guess is you've never had to console a women who has lost her baby after being thrown from a horse.
That is true, but I did have to console my wife after she slipped and fell on a wet front porch, and miscarried our 5 month fetus. Should she have not gone outside while pregnant?
As I said, every woman has to consider the risks of what she thinks is important.

That is true, but I did have to console my wife after she slipped and fell on a wet front porch, and miscarried our 5 month fetus. Should she have not gone outside while pregnant?
As I said, every woman has to consider the risks of what she thinks is important.
Man, so sorry for your loss . Cant imagine how hard that must have been.
To your point , imho, accidents happen and they are just an unfortunate part of life . You cant just shut down for fear of the unforseen . In the case of a pregnant woman shooting long range rifles, hearing loss to the fetus is reasonable to assume . This would not be an accident . It would be a choice . 9 months might seem like forever while your living it , but it isnt that long really. Not even a choice in my mind, you protect your child from hearing loss.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.