Rear shooting rest while hunting

Rustic Ridge "Extreme Rear Support System – E.R.S.S" for hunting
It is stupidly light beats carrying a bag in the desert up a mountain. It does take a little getting used to but once you get it figured out dead solid.

Hand, rock, or pack for me. Don't like the added weight and just one more thing to worry about. I'm glad I read this conversation as the foam idea sounds pretty good for weighing nothing.

I use the Bipod Big Buddy too! Use it with a tall Harris bipod. So I know where you are coming from. It's great for long range shots that have to be taken from a seated position.

Don't think those who replied understand what you are talking about, cause they all started talking about their specially bag of rice. :rolleyes:

You cannot ALWAYS LAY PRONE, like hunting antelope on flat ground in tall sage. This is where the Bipod Buddy shines. Hell I even have one of the short ones. But I also have about a dozen different size and weights of specitialy bags of rice too...;)
I use a sock filled with air soft pellets with Harris type s. Tallest one they make. Sitting position with bag on my leg and under my elbow. Has worked great for shots out to half mile. I practice this shot often as most my hunting areas prone is rarely an option

I use a sock filled with air soft pellets with Harris type s. Tallest one they make. Sitting position with bag on my leg and under my elbow. Has worked great for shots out to half mile. I practice this shot often as most my hunting areas prone is rarely an option
Nice. That would be difficult for me. I'm not that steady. At shorter distances, similar positions seated behind a tall bipod have worked for me though. I took a mule deer at 340 seated with a tall harris bipod by just leaning into it with legs and arms crossed tight.
Thing about the tall Bipod Buddy though it it can be very steady even for a novice. I have never taken an animal with it, but I have practice shot out to 500 or so with it with goods results under my 300 WSM.
I'm going to introduce it to my brother this year. He is coming out for an antelope hunt and the area doesn't always offer a prone shot. It is just one more thing in a whole bag of tricks I guess.

This, light and compact. From Triad Tactical.
C75523F9-971C-487C-9A09-3579D5E5C274.jpeg

I've tried the plastic pellets in a sock and find thay their slippery interaction doesn't lend itself to a solid rest. Would think that airsoft pellets would be the same but much lighter. Might try it to see. I've had more sold rest bags filled with sand and even corn cob.

Just wondering what most of you are using as a rear rest while in the field hunting. I have a Javelin Long Bipod that I use as a front rest and I love it because it's light and easily detachable. I have a Bipod Big Buddy and I like the concept of it being light and it doesn't take up much pack space and I have many sandbags that I can use too. Sandbags are heavy and take up a lot of pack space, Bipod Big Buddy, I practiced a lot with, and do well with out to about 600 yards. Just looking for advice on a rear rest that easily deployable and that is light and compact enough for backpack hunting.

The extreme store has two metal one that are x shaped when shooting. The hunter orange is $125 and I believe the black one is$105. They are very durable and make a steady rear rest.

I use my pack most of the time. In some cases, I have used one of those kifaru lightweight pullouts that I have my down puffy jacket stored in - but that is only if I have time to pull it out and for some reason my pack won't work by itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts