Shooting the .224 wildcat RBBT at a 1000 yards

reed mosser

I went to my first 1000 yard match this week end at Ohio. I tried my 22 dasher shooting the 100 RBBT wildcats. My vel was 2950 FPS. I had to put in 27.5 moa of elevation from a hundred yard zero. The wildcats shoot much better than me, because they don't get nervous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif After I really screwed up my first relay I managed to shoot a 8.9 inch group. I am very happy with the accuracy with this big bullets but I thought the b.c would be a little higher. I was wondering if any one has any experience with this bullets. Fifty I know you shot a few of these, and the 107's. Also fifty did you notice a big increase in B>C with the 107's over the 100's. I just trying to get some real world info. Im not bashing richard or his bullets. They are some of the most consitant bullets I have ever shot and very accurate to boot. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again Reed

Reed,

I will be honest and say I did not get them to stay together at the velocity I was pushing them. When I stayed under or right at 3100 fps they were cloverleafing at 100 yards but as I put the throttle down they just could not handle it.

The 224 AM was able to push them to 3450 fps velocity wise but they would not take it.

As such, I did not even do any long range drop testing with them. I am thinking very hard about building a fast twist 22-250 AI this winter just for these two bullets in a 27" barrel.

We were predicting BCs in the mid .5? From your numbers I would say you were using around a BC of 0.475. I would have guessed it higher then that as well.

THe 107 is quite a bit longer then the 100 gr with the same ogive and meplat and BT so it should be a bit higher in BC.

I did not shoot enough of the 107s to have much data at all, just the 100 gr pills until I determined they were not a good combo with the 224 AM. That said, no bullet out there is a good combo yet. Even tried some 70 gr TSX bullets in the 224 AM. To light for this case volume.

Richard is making me some VERY heavy jacketed 100 gr FB HPs for the 224 AM to see if we can keep them together. We will see.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty your right with a b.c of .525 matched my drop at a 1000. I wonder what the real b.c of the 80's sierra nosler hornady a-max really are. I know berger claims a b.c .599 on their 90 grain VLD 22 cal, but I just can't believe that. If the 100 RBBT .525 how can bergers 90 be even close to .599. Fify you should think about the dasher for your winter project. It has no problems getting to 3000 fps with the 100 grain pills. Its just took a little while to find the right powder burn rate. Ramshot hunter is working good for the 100's as should any other 4350 burn rate powder. If you want to try the dasher, you can borrow my reamer. Its a PTG no neck turn, also I have the full length sizer reamer. Thanks Reed

Reed,

Whats the case forming proceedure for the Dasher?

I do not know what I think of the Berger BC prediction. Seems pretty high for me but its hard to question a set of numbers when they are in a different set of conditions.

I know BC is a sales pitch item as we all know. Only way to know for sure is to get some in the air and see I suppose. I would predict they would not be any higher then the 100 gr Wildcat though if that.

I may have to think on the Dasher.

Kirby Allen(50)

To make the dasher all you have to do is neck down 6 br laupa brass to 22 cal and fireform. It is 40 degree shoulder with the taper taken out. I had a 22-250 ackley and the dasher will do about the same thing with less powder and superior brass. I might rechamber my current dasher to a 22-243 ackley and see if richard can make me some 110 RBBT. If your dead set on 22-250 ackley I have a 1000 rounds of remington brass fire formed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry for the mistake, your right it s .517. I Misread the information. Won't be the first or last time I get confused. Thanks for correcting me.

Reed,

I just compared the specifications of the 90 grain bullets from Sierra, Berger, and JLK, with the Wildcat 100 grain ULD.

I note that the JLK list its bc as .580, but they have been around for a long time, and tested by many out to 1000 yards.

I looked up an old post on this forum by Rost495, who had used them a lot in his .223, and he said that:
"the bc of the JLK is .560-565 after doing a bunch of shooting, chronographing, and then comparing comeups from the ballistic programs, and is backed by AMUs actual doppler at 1000 yards."

The comparison of the bullet specifications:
weight, overall length, boat tail length, base/ogive, bc.
Sierra---90, 1.160, .165, .560, .504.
Berger---90, 1.260, .180, .599, .517.
JLK------90, 1.225, .180, .595, .580 (listed)
Wildcat-100, 1.300, .150, .700, ???

The results in your rifle is what counts for you, and it will be interesting to see what my .224 Clark produces in about 2 months time, after my gunsmith chambers the rifle, after getting back from an extended shooting trip.

It is encouraging that the general consensus it that the Wildcat 100 grain bullets are capable of shooting very accurately. Regards, Brian.

Brian I hope the b.c's are that high and your right the 90 grain Jlk's have been around for a long time. I have not noticed in actual shooting conditions out to 1000 yards really much of an affect in the wind. The wildcat seems to out right shoot in the wind. It makes me believe that the b.c is pretty good. I m going to buy couple hundred berger 90 vlds to test to. I can say that at a thousand yards my drop was more than the charts indicated, but the windage was less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The wildcats do just shoot and you can't beat a guy that will make just about anything you can talior up. Good luck with clark. 3300 fps should be easy

Reed, I agree that 3,300 should be achievable with the 100 grain bullet from the .224 Clark. However, my real interest will be whether my 6.5 twist Krieger will do a better job at getting the bullets to the target at those velocities than Kirby's 7 twist Lilja.

At the moment I am a tad pessimistic about my chances, but then even if they don't hold together at 3,300 fps, but can deliver sub 0.5 moa at about 3,100 fps, then it will still be a viable option in the field.

I also have some 105 grain bullets to test that were made here in Oz by Garry Little. They are 1.3 inches in length, and have the same profile as the Sierra MatchKing. However, as they also have the J4 jacket, I tend to believe that they will behave similarly to Richard's 100 grain ULD which were also built on the J4 jacket.

Your comments about the ability of the 100 grain Wildcat in the wind is encouraging, as I find that is much more of a factor in the field than the trajectory.

However, until my .224 Clark is built, I have the job of getting the 7 twist Krieger barrel in my 257Weatherby to shoot. This weekend I will be breaking in the barrel and then testing a few loads of H870 with Richard's 156 grain ULD. I am hoping that I will still be smiling after testing on Sunday.

I Look forward to hearing more reports on your progress with the .224 Dasher. Regards, Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.