.308 at 1000 yards

SLRees

Can you keep a 168 or 175gr Berger VLD match hunting bullet in a .308 supersonic at 1000 yards? The elevation would be pretty much sea level to 1500 feet.

You could also try Sierra 155gr Palma bullets. They have a high BC of .504 and can be launched around 2750fps. They will stay super sonic out to a 1000.

I chose the Berger VLD hunting round because I wanted to use this round to hunt black tails in Oregon. The reason I'm using a .308 is because I had a friend say that this round can not be used for long range hunting. I don't plan on taking a elk out to 1000+ yards. But black tail deer at 600-800 yards in Oregon is long range. That is if you can find them at that range:rolleyes:

The 308 has won many 1000 yard and Palma matches with the 168 SMKs so any of the new high
BC bullets in that weight range can only be better IMO.

J E CUSTOM

I chose the Berger VLD hunting round because I wanted to use this round to hunt black tails in Oregon. The reason I'm using a .308 is because I had a friend say that this round can not be used for long range hunting. I don't plan on taking a elk out to 1000+ yards. But black tail deer at 600-800 yards in Oregon is long range. That is if you can find them at that range:rolleyes:

If you have a 24-26" barrel with an 11.25 or 10" twist, I can recommend a very nice Berger 210 VLD load with Varget that still holds around 1,424 fps & 946 ft lbs of energy @ 850 yards, which should be more than enough to kill a deer. At 1K it's still holding 1,297 fps, and 784 ft lbs. That certainly ain't your grandpappy's old slow .308 right there. That's what that new technology can do. :D

My rifle still has the original "26 1:12 twist. That's another conversation. Why did Remington use a1:10 twist on the "20 barrel and a 1:12 on the "26. I'm really start wonder

My rifle still has the original "26 1:12 twist. That's another conversation. Why did Remington use a1:10 twist on the "20 barrel and a 1:12 on the "26. I'm really start wonder

My guess would be that the 20" barrel could not achieve enough velocity to stabilize the larger bullets.

My 40x match rifle has a 1 in 12 twist and it likes/needs velocity to shoot well.

J E CUSTOM

My guess would be that the 20" barrel could not achieve enough velocity to stabilize the larger bullets.

My 40x match rifle has a 1 in 12 twist and it likes/needs velocity to shoot well.

J E CUSTOM

Putting a 1-10 twist in a 20inch barrel doesn't make any sense. They should have put a 1-12 in a 20" because your not going to get any velocity out of anything more than 168grs. You need a 12 twist for the lighter bullets which would make sense in a shorter barrel. A 1-10 is only good for really heavy slugs, so pointless in a short barreled rifle.

Putting a 1-10 twist in a 20inch barrel doesn't make any sense. They should have put a 1-12 in a 20" because your not going to get any velocity out of anything more than 168grs. You need a 12 twist for the lighter bullets which would make sense in a shorter barrel. A 1-10 is only good for really heavy slugs, so pointless in a short barreled rifle.
If that is the case, then why do they use a 1:7 twist for the .300 Blackout round shooting 210-220gr subsonics in 7" to 16" barrels?

Makes you think...And sometimes some of the "laws" of reasoning don't make any sense, and don't always follow like they're supposed to.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts