Shooting off a Bi-pod.

Broz,
I know what you mean about the body position behind the rifle and that is exactly what I meant. If you are not prone and squared up behind your rifle it is gonna be very difficult to control the recoil impulse and remain on target. Any other position (or over shooting sticks/tripod) the recoil pushes back too hard to see impact.

Topshot,
Also, like stated earlier:
Is the rifle fitted with a muzzle brake?
and
What range are you shooting? Out past about 700yards is when I can recover from recoil and spot impacts with my 16lb braked .338 Edge.
How tall is the bipod and is it the pivot model? To me these seem to have an effect as well.

Broz,
I know what you mean about the body position behind the rifle and that is exactly what I meant. If you are not prone and squared up behind your rifle it is gonna be very difficult to control the recoil impulse and remain on target. Any other position (or over shooting sticks/tripod) the recoil pushes back too hard to see impact.

Topshot,
Also, like stated earlier:
Is the rifle fitted with a muzzle brake?
and
What range are you shooting? Out past about 700yards is when I can recover from recoil and spot impacts with my 16lb braked .338 Edge.
How tall is the bipod and is it the pivot model? To me these seem to have an effect as well.
Bravo4
The .338Edge rifle is fitted with a brake and weighs 14 lb. It has a H-S stock.
Bi-pod is 6"-9" without pivot. Shots are from 400 to 1500 yards. Longer shots I can get back to see the impact but under 800 yards it is very difficult some times depending on the situation. I have a few photo's of some of the shooting positions I do so will find them and post them up for critical examination when I get home.

Groper,
I know what you mean about the forend. It has two studs, which one would be best for the bi-pod to reduce muzzle jump?

It's because of a poor bipod... Harris bipods are garbage mate... Why spend big money on a long range precision rifle, top it with a great scope like a NF or S&B and then ruin the whole package with a flimsy, toy like bipod that doesn't provide adequate stability... So many people on this site don't see the value in a decent bipod...

Perhaps you are starting to see the light?

A quality properly setup bipod will not bounce, allows better spotting of your impacts, caters for a ideal shooting position and provides a very stable platform. The types of feet are important, the raptor feet on mine don't move in the dirt no matter how many shots I fire but obviously won't do you any good shooting off a hood of a truck...

The balance is very important aswell, a quality bipod will provide a wide stance for stability and the point where it attaches to your foreend is very important to get the balance right. If it's attached too far forward or rearward, the rifle can move in wild movements under recoil which can make spootig shots difficult and cause poor accuracy also. Probably deserves a new thread on this point alone...

How about an example of a quality bipod, mate. Looking for something better than Harris for varmint hunting in prone position.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.