bi pod hop

so what would you call it when the rifle lifts a bit?

Thoughts:

Improper rifle design. Drop at comb is too much and bore is above the comb. The design should be that the rifle recoils straight back.

Improper shooting position. Shoulder should be pushed into the butt, putting forward pressure on the bipod legs (if it's a Harris type with the springs.)

Body position: This is arguable but I do best when the spine (mine) is lined up parallel to the line of bore. That is, straight behind the rifle. However this is difficult in the field unless the "hide" is set up for it.

Being a wimp I have a brake on my rifles (338 RUM Rem Factory. Custom 270 Allen Magnum) With the correct stock design and the brake the only shots I can't spot through the scope is when I've taken an improper shooting position.

Note that I don't use spring type bipods. I've machined my own out of aluminum. They are screwed solid to the forward sling nut.

Hi Lucas

Get some pod spikes from Robbie at Gunworks Canterbury :)
Then you can easily load your bipod in the field.
I assume you have a Harris ?
I have 4 sets & really rate them, they work for me :cool:
Just don't use them over your bonnet or you will need a paint repair :D
Cheers Greg.

I have Harris pods, and one thing I have noticed is, on the notched leg models in it's lowest position there is 1/8th to 1/4" of spring loaded travel that depending on the weight of your rifle could magnify upward movement. If the rifle is of the weight to just compress the spring loaded slack, it is sitting there ready to jump with even the slightest help from the recoil. The non-notched models have a friction lock you can tighten down and all slack is removed.

I have no agrument that shooter form is of huge importance here, but in some field conditions you have to deal with what is available for the shot. I really like the convenience of the spring loaded notched legs that are quickly sprung out to meet your needs, but I feel the friction locks for the legs on the non-notched modles make for a more sold rest.

Jeff gun)gun)

Thoughts:

Improper rifle design. Drop at comb is too much and bore is above the comb. The design should be that the rifle recoils straight back.

Improper shooting position. Shoulder should be pushed into the butt, putting forward pressure on the bipod legs (if it's a Harris type with the springs.)

Body position: This is arguable but I do best when the spine (mine) is lined up parallel to the line of bore. That is, straight behind the rifle. However this is difficult in the field unless the "hide" is set up for it.

Being a wimp I have a brake on my rifles (338 RUM Rem Factory. Custom 270 Allen Magnum) With the correct stock design and the brake the only shots I can't spot through the scope is when I've taken an improper shooting position.

Note that I don't use spring type bipods. I've machined my own out of aluminum. They are screwed solid to the forward sling nut.

Roy some day I hope to think things out as much as you this is a great write up

A little trick that works well for me is to move the bipod stud back on the firearm as far as possible with it just being rear balanced. The extra weight on the bipod really seams to help??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.