Shooting Chrony's Beta Master

I have had the beta master for a few years. It has worked fine for me. I use a camera tripod I got from Walmart to mount it on. Just keep the instruction book close at hand. Unless you use it a lot you will forget how to use it. One other thing I have found is to use the plastic shields on top of the screen rods all the time. I get better readings.

Eaglet
How hard is it to line up you chrony and you rifle so you dont shoot it?
I have convinced the commanding officer to get me a chrony:)
But lost most of the support when I brought up a tripod.
today I shot a 2.5 in group at 700 yards with 72 clicks up shooting the 160 gr accubonds.
But I get three differant velocities using three differant calculators online
boy sometimes this stuff is frustrating.
but we had fun shooting which makes it all good:)
retiredcpo

I set up prone on a concrete cinder block sometimes, works real good and cheap, solid as a rock! I get the rifle set up and get the rear bag lined up on target then set up the crony, turn the scope all the way down and you can see the the uprights centered up and about at the center of the rods. I double check by pulling the bolt and looking down the bore to make sure all is clear, so far no casualties :D

I have a beta, not the master. But It works quite well for me. I don't understand the whole ease of use argument, mine is extremely easy to use. If you get three crazy readings, change the batteries. one button that toggles you through your data, and I got used to what was what really quick. I do leave mine together and set it in my building out by the range, and grab it and set it on my little table turn it on and it's ready to go.

As far as how to ensure you don't shoot it, I put mine on a table (assume you could do the same with a tripod) which is 6 inches shorter than my bench, this puts the top of the unit about 1-2 inches lower than the bench. To make sure I do not shoot the rods sticking up, I line it up in line with the target, look through the scope on low power, then a quick look down the barrel to make sure I don't see the rods when looking down it and I am centered. I never shoot across it untill the gun is zeroed. It would have to be about 30 inches off to hit the rods but I have seen them that bad, and you would have to be pointing your gun in the dirt 20 yards from the bench to hit the unit its self. I place it about 10 feet in front of the bench and usually leave the little table set up and put little marks on it to tell me it is aligned with my rifle left and right.

I have used the Chrony Beta Master for about 10 years. Having the readout on the bench is very handy, and if you do shoot you Chrono it makes replacing it much cheaper. Chrony offers a very inexpensive swap for a new body and screens just for that.

To avoid shooting your Chrony try putting one of the laser boresighters into the barrel with the gun set up on the rests and aimed square at the centre of the target you will be shooting. The laser dot will show up on your shirt, just adjust so the screeens are four inches below the line of travel. I put black tape on the rods 4"s up to make that easier to set.

I have compared the Chrony readings to CED and Ohler on the same day, same conditions with the three set in a line. There were slight differences in velocity of up to 6 fps, that isn't accounted for by the additional distance of the respective Chronos, but since the Ohler and the CEd didn't agree either, it wasn't clear which oof the three was actually right. For anything but very fine ballistics work the Chrony is accurate enough, much more compact and take 3 minutes to setup from fully folded. and any good camera tripod will hold them very steady. My 2 cents worth from playing with them.

Eaglet
How hard is it to line up you chrony and you rifle so you dont shoot it?
I have convinced the commanding officer to get me a chrony:)
But lost most of the support when I brought up a tripod.
today I shot a 2.5 in group at 700 yards with 72 clicks up shooting the 160 gr accubonds.
But I get three differant velocities using three differant calculators online
boy sometimes this stuff is frustrating.
but we had fun shooting which makes it all good:)
retiredcpo

I do very similar to bigngreen, I use a shooting bench at the rifle range, with the scope all the way down, I line up the cross hair to the center of the target and when not touching the rifle I make sure I'm still on center of the target. Then I move the chronograph 15' away from the muzzle and align it with the bore line, of course the bolt has been removed, move the tripod up and down or what ever it needs until where I want the bullet to go through is lined up. The front and rear of the chronograph have to be in line and when looking through the scope the top of the screens have to match. If the sunlight is going inside one of the sensors, something has to be done about it. You're ready to go! :)

After a bit of practice one can set up the chronograph without help and on the fist try.

Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.