Shooting bags

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by freebird63, May 2, 2011.

1. freebird63

freebird63 Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about getting rid of my solid rest and going with one of those shooting bags, I see several different ones on the market.
    Bulls bags
    Dog-gone-good
    stoney point
    caldwell shooting products
    I would think a person would want the heaviest bag he could get so it didn't move or moved as little as possible. Also should a person get one pre-filled with that regrind stuff???? or buy a bag of lead shot??? I would think the lead shot is heavier.
    Anybody out there using any of these products????

2. Idahoan

Idahoan Member

assuming you are using a bag for the front rest, no need to get it really heavy because you're just resting your rifle on it while your shoulder takes the recoil. Lead would be $$ and too heavy - try dry sand.

3. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

To fill a heavy rear bag the benchrest shooters use Chromite sand or Zircon sand.
    I am looking into getting some for myself.
    Tarey

4. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

I fill my old shot bags abbout 3/4 full of sand and zip tie the ends. Work good for me and cheap.

5. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

This is what I have gotten and used it for the first time at 1,000 yds. Take note of the front and rear bags and the aluminum plate that I have attached to the bottom rail under the forearm.

I list everything that you will see in the pictures.

My new set up for 1,000 yds. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: My last post at the bottom tells the result of my shooting. :):):)

6. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

What Joseph has is similar to what my bench buddies shoot, but on the lighter side. I shoot off my bipod, like I hunt, that is what I practice for , same gun, 2 lb trigger, and back small rabbit ear with rice, easy to handle. I shot 3 in 6 1/4 @ 1003. I am working on it and think I can do better, load needs work. This set up is very convenient and works, clean my gun this way work on scope ,etc.