Shooting a muzzleloader through chronograph

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by cornchuck, Dec 7, 2012.

1. cornchuck

cornchuck Well-Known Member

Has anyone shot their muzzleloader through a chronograph? I am shooting saboted bullets and wondered if the sabots will give a false reading. Plus, I was just wondering what the velocity of my ML is.

Jason

2. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

yes I have shot sabots through my chrony . I seemed to get good readings . be sure to protect your chrony from the sabot . I had a sabot hit my read out .

[​IMG]

I made a plexiglass protector for it . Jim

[​IMG]

3. cornchuck

cornchuck Well-Known Member

jimbires,
    Thank you for the reply. Good idea about protecting the chrony. Never thought of that. How far did you set the chrony from the muzzle of the gun. Usually i set it at about 12 feet for my centerfires.

Jason

4. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I usually set my chrony about 15 feet away for all my shooting . I never thought of the sabot hitting the chrony either . live and learn I guess :rolleyes: . Jim

5. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

You do not need to change the distance, but beware the sabots. I simple duct tape a piece of plywood across the screen, and remove it to take the readings (cheap but effective). Also, you can break your sensors if you use the skyscreens. I either don't use them, or put uncooked spaghetti in the holes as guides. If you put a sabot into the metal supports for the skyscreens you can destroy the sensor.

6. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

ATH,
    I like the spaghetti idea.....lightbulb

7. mnoland30

mnoland30 Well-Known Member

My friend did that. It made a big ugly hole. Shoot over the chronograph!

I set my replacement chronograph pretty close to the bench, and I've gotten consistent readings.