Shooting a mile . How hard is it ?

lee31

My buddy and I have finally found a place to shoot a mile . I have shot out to 1200 yards and can make hits pretty consistently . I'm just wondering how much harder is it to shoot a mile . Obviously everything is gonna be magnified . Just looking for some advice . Oh the rifle I will be shooting was built by Scorehigh Gunsmithing . It's a Blueprinted 700 Brux Barrel 264 win pushing 140 Bergers at 3240 . I have a 20moa rail and a 6-24 Sightron S3 . I should have more than enough elevation adjustment to get there .

The challenges are magnified considerably.

Most importantly is that the added range makes wind calls much more difficult as the wind speed and direction can change several times over such a long distance and you can run into significant difficulties with up and down drafts (often both).

At a mile spin drift and coriolis effects can be quite significant as well.

At that range you also will no doubt have issues with bullets getting squirrely in the transonic and subsonic speed ranges. VLD's are build to punch a hole in the wind at supersonic speeds, they are not designed to ride it at subsonic speeds.

I'm sure it can be done with a .264 in the right hands if you get all your inputs correct but it's going to be a real challenge.

Good luck with it. WR

The challenges are magnified considerably.

Most importantly is that the added range makes wind calls much more difficult as the wind speed and direction can change several times over such a long distance and you can run into significant difficulties with up and down drafts (often both).

At a mile spin drift and coriolis effects can be quite significant as well.

At that range you also will no doubt have issues with bullets getting squirrely in the transonic and subsonic speed ranges. VLD's are build to punch a hole in the wind at supersonic speeds, they are not designed to ride it at subsonic speeds.

I'm sure it can be done with a .264 in the right hands if you get all your inputs correct but it's going to be a real challenge.

Good luck with it. WR

Thanks I like challenges . I know it's going to be tough but I think I can do it . It might take a few shots . That's what I was thinking would make it difficult is the up drafts . I'll will keep everyone posted when I try . Need to pick up a new spotting scope first hopefully we will be doing this in a months time .

No different than 100 yards...question is do you have the right equipment and do you have the skills needed. I would think you gotta be real close to the limit for a .264 bore, real close maybe... Can you keep the bullet spinning and not tumbling, I might question if it could with 140 grains. Plus all the other effects, spin drift, Coreolis affect, wind, mirage, right base height, scopes ability and your ability to see it all. Why not switch to something in .308 - .338 - .375, it'll make life a little easier. I'm sure someone on this board has done it, they've done about everything else...sooner or later the right guy will answer...

... I should have more than enough elevation adjustment to get there .

Perhaps, but by my calculations you'll be well into the sub-sonic range at least 300 yards before you get there and with all the other factors that are likely to be involved (wind, coriolis, spin drift, deminished stability, etc.) if you ring the bell it's more likely to be a matter or luck than anything else.
How hard is it? **** hard - if accuracy is of any importance.
Making an "accurate" connection at over 1700 yards (consistently hitting an 8 inch circle) will take more umph than that .264 can muster.

You should be able to make hits if you have a good spotter. I was shooting a mile last weekend and getting hits on a 4'x4' steel plate with my 260 remington with 140 grain amax. The biggest noticeable difference is it is much easier to spot hits with the larger calibers. I was pushing around 2900 fps. This rifle is a 1/2moa rifle. Also, telling if you hit was a bit harder because it was hard to hear if you hit it with such a small bullet with low energy at that distance. I was able to make hits 1 out of every 3 shots.

"Shooting a mile. How hard is it?"

Its easy, just point the muzzle at the right angle and voila! Hitting a certain spot with any consistency is another thing all together.:D
Just kidding of course.

Good points posted by others, everything needs to be taken into consideration. Another thing is something you will have a hard time factoring in is the wind speed at your bullets maximum ordinance (highest point in its trajectory). It could be tree top level or more in places. Without knowing the terrain or vegetation you will be around its hard to say how to handle it. Maybe figure what the max ord is and fly a kite at that height with a streamer to check the wind? Send up balloons or light a fire and watch the smoke. Am I kidding...maybe...:rolleyes:
Sighter rounds (cheaters) (registration to mortars) are nice too, and the easiest way to figure it out.

Perhaps, but by my calculations you'll be well into the sub-sonic range at least 300 yards before you get there and with all the other factors that are likely to be involved (wind, coriolis, spin drift, deminished stability, etc.) if you ring the bell it's more likely to be a matter or luck than anything else.
Making an "accurate" connection at over 1700 yards (consistently hitting an 8 inch circle) will take more umph than that .264 can muster.

It would depend on his elevation, and I assume you are correct considering the shooters location, but here in Wyoming, where I live at over 7000 feet, my .260 AI shooting a 140 Berger at 2975, with the atmospheric conditions I consistently get with my Kestrel at the range I shoot (7,149 ft. 72 degrees and 23.3 inHg) , I am still going 1300+ fps @1760 yards, and speed of sound is 1130ish. It takes a little over 54 MOA of elevation according to my ballistics app for my rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you, a mile long shot with a 6.5 takes skill and the right equipment, as well as the right conditions, and would be extremely challenging, and every atmospheric condition will have to be taken into account. Hitting a sub 1/2 MOA target at that distance with ANY shoulder fired rifle would more than challenging. But, it can be done

What do consider subsonic 1100fps is what I was told . By my calculations my bullet will be traveling at 1154fps . So if this is right I'll be right on the fringe . Also I'm going to be shooting at a 30inch saw blade if that makes a difference . I wouldn't even attempt to shoot at a 8 inch gong at that range

What do consider subsonic 1100fps is what I was told . By my calculations my bullet will be traveling at 1154fps . So if this is right I'll be right on the fringe ....

Your bullet will loose it's optimum stability long before it slows down to 1100 fps. I usually use 1300 fps as the transonic upper edge where I can expect instability to become an issue. Even boat tail bullets can get into trouble at those velocities. Once he bullet becomes unstable any strikes on target are no longer "aimed", IMO. Odds are that if enough bullets go down range some will eventually make contact somewhere on the target.
But, IMO, it's akin to throwing rocks at tin cans - anyone can hit a can once in a while.

All you can do is shoot and see, the hard part with 6.5's at that range is getting enough feed back to learn whats going on, if you can pick up feed back then you can see if it's grouping and responding to adjustments if it does your good to go. Feed back is the hardest though, as far as shooting through transonic seems like a lot of guys haven't even tried on here, either it's going to work fine or you'll scatter bullets all over the hill side for what it's worth I've shot the 140 Berger through transonic with no issues to 1890 yards but I'm playing with 6000+ elevation which helps :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.