shipping scope

rdr59

I'm thinking about selling a scope. i was wondering the best way to ship and package it. This would be my first time selling something. I thought it would be good to know before i posted that way if i sell it i can get it shipped out promptly. Thanks for any help.

Shipping either UPS, USPS or Fedex should not make a difference. Packaging is way more important. Package in bubble wrap and ensure it is in a sturdy box fitting nice and snug. If you have the original box, place it in there first and then in another box.

I like 2 wraps of bubble wrap on all sides and at least 1" but preferably 2" of open cell foam on all sides. Remember, it's not just the drop you're protecting against. You need to keep that optic away from box's sides which occasionally get a hole poked in em.

Scavenge a couple cardboard 18 egg cartons and place make a cocoon around your bubble wrapped scope inside the box, makes the box needed a little bigger but gives you a crush zone.

UPS or Fedex...

Don't take it to a "UPS store". They will not ship any part that can, and I quote "go on a gun". Not a UPS policy, just a UPS store policy.

I would add, don't send USPS. They have a terrible tracking system compared to UPS and I've had 3 bad experiences with them lately. Two letters containing checks took way too long to arrive and a scope that I sold. It spent 4 days in Baltimore for some reason. UPS has been cheaper for me than Fedex

They are almost all independently owned. I have shipped TONS of firearm parts and never had an issue.

I prefer to just buy my ups label online, print it and then drop it at the store though.

I shipped a scope today. Wrapped it in bubble wrap well so that each end was tucked in burrito style, crumpled some packing paper for the bottom sides and top. Simple enough, and that was a bare scope with no box.

Interesting, I never had that problem here in MT.
I ran into this at a ups store here I TX once and they said they couldn't ship it due to policy.

So, The last scope I shipped, i took to a ups store but with a different approach. I stuck it in the original box and added extra bubble wrap to fill empty space. Then I wrapped up the original box in packing materials, and placed that in a larger box filled with more packing materials to fill empty space. I then taped the snot out of that box. When I took it to a ups store, and they asked what was inside that I was insuring for almost $3k, I did not tell them it was a NF ATACR F1, but instead told them it was a telescopic lens. It wasn't a lie. It also didn't hurt that the guy I was shipping to had "Hubble" for a last name!

I ran into this at a ups store here I TX once and they said they couldn't ship it due to policy.

So, The last scope I shipped, i took to a ups store but with a different approach. I stuck it in the original box and added extra bubble wrap to fill empty space. Then I wrapped up the original box in packing materials, and placed that in a larger box filled with more packing materials to fill empty space. I then taped the snot out of that box. When I took it to a ups store, and they asked what was inside that I was insuring for almost $3k, I did not tell them it was a NF ATACR F1, but instead told them it was a telescopic lens. It wasn't a lie. It also didn't hurt that the guy I was shipping to had "Hubble" for a last name!

I have shipped 2 scopes and 2 gun stocks in the last year without any problems. Each time they seems to be more concerned about lithium batteries.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.