Share your 2008 hunting results

long450

Let me first say thanks to everyone here for information which helped to improve and expand my hunting range!!

No long stories here, I am interested in the results and equipement used, just the facts.

Ok, I will start:

1> Whitetail buck 8 piont 16" spread 727 yards, 20 mph wind at around 11 0'clock, high shoulder with 300gr SMK 338 Lapua GAP Nightforce 8.5X32 Mildot, dropped right there.

2> Coyote female 20 yards lung shot 6.5x284 140 A-Max Leupold 6.5x20 LR (walked up to her while deer hunting in a hard wind) dropped right there.

3> Whitetail doe 176 yards lung shot 6.5x284 140 A-Max Leupold 6.5x20 LR, ran 20 yards.

4> Whitetail doe 1003 yards back bone shot 300 gr SMK 338 Lapua Gap Nightforce 8.5x 32 mildot, dropped right there.

The deer were shot from a box stand with a front window rest (straddle bag) and a camera tripod rear rest with a standard rear bag. Not quite as steady as a bench, but worked pretty well.

Tell me how you did?

The deer were shot from a box stand with a front window rest (straddle bag) and a camera tripod rear rest with a standard rear bag. Not quite as steady as a bench, but worked pretty well.

That's an interesting technique. A 1000 yard shot is a difficult shot so it must be pretty steady. I've only hunted from a box stand a couple of times and didn't know what to do. It is always good to learn a new technique.

Personally, I didn't shoot much worth talking about. I think my best shot was a small whitetail buck at 250 yards. It was hardly anything to be proud of. I posted it down in the Humor section. I killed a couple of antelopes for camp meat but there was nothing to the shots except getting meat for the cooler.

Short list for me, at least she filled the freezer,

Mature cow elk- 487 yards-300 win mag, Burris 4.5-14 42, 168grn barnes x complete pass through both lungs went about 75 yards.

I shot a cow elk at 620 yards with a custom 30 ultra mag , 180 gr accubond at 3450 fps. complete pass thew ( both sholders). she went down in her tracks.
lets eat!

1: Alaska. Double broomed dall ram. 402 yards. 308 winnie, 150 accubond. Didnt hear the feedback from the first shot. Scratched my head and fired again. A few seconds later he went down. 2 bullets throght the ribs.

2: Colorado. Mule deer buck, last day. 318 yards. Same rifle, same load. Downhill 10 degrees. facing me at 90 degrees. One shot. First time I ever dropped a deer in its tracks. Easiest pack out I have ever had as well. He dropped 10' from a 4 wheeler trail.

Couple of antlerless deer with my XP100 handgun (by Kirby Allen). One at 320 yards and one at 440 yards. No bucks this year.

One antelope buck at 515 yards with the same rig.

Buffalobob, this technique works for me, but you have to be more aware of your trigger control than when shooting off a bench. It is nice to be able to fold up the tripod and get it out of the way when it is not needed. Ken

This was my first season with my first custom rifle and longer range capability.
Thanks for the year of information from everyone on this site. I'm hooked.

7MM STW. 700 action blueprinted, mod 70 3 position safety, fluted bolt, Shilen barrel fluted, Borden stock, Remington 2.25lb trigger, Win brass, 160 Accubonds. Built by Randy Selby @ Randys Guns, Wapiti Wyoming.

First antelope buck ever - 412 yards. Wyoming
Antelope doe - 325 yds. Wyoming
Antelope doe - 560 yds. Wyoming

3 point mule deer - 470 yds. Colorado
6 point elk - 20 yards. Colorado

Whitetail buck - 28 yards archery Maryland
Whitetail doe - 8 yards archery Maryland
2 Whitetail does muzzleloader Maryland. 25 yards and 90 yards

Doves 28 gauge Caesar Guerrini
Ducks and geese - Browning Gold 12 gauge

There is still a few weeks of season left in Md and with the poor economy I have many people asking for meat, so I may have to drag myself into the woods a couple more times.

Whitetail buck 3x3 not counting eyegards 16inch spread 350 yards uphill 20 degrees .270 Win 130gr Barnes TTSX going 3100fps hit the top of the hart whent 10yrds and was down shot him off my PoleCat's.:D

I think it is fair for us to give information weather good or bad, so... I'll admit to having taken a single deer (yearling baldy) at 300-350 yards. The only one we saw on our land during rifle season and we wanted some meat lol!

Last edited:
Wyoming Buck Antelope 713 yards, back of rib cage traveled 100 yards to fence and a finishing shot to the shoulder.

Wyoming Doe Antelope 482 yards, Shoulder, ran 30 yards and fell dead.

Wyoming Doe Antelope 820 yards, Shoulder, dropped where she stood.

Montana Buck Antelope 710 yards, right behind shoulder, dropped.

Montana 6x6 Bull Elk 526 Yards High shoulder ran 50 yards and crashed dead.

Montana 4x5 Buck Muley 435 yards 3/4 front in shoulder out ribs, ran 15 yards and dropped.

Kansas White Tail Doe 1137 yards 7 mph full value wind Rib cage, dropped where she stood.

Missouri White Tail Doe 435 yards rib cage ran 75 yards and fell dead.

Missouri Coyote 687 yards.

Missouri Coyote 350 yards running away.

All above were shot with my .338 Lapua Mark V action, 27 1/2" #8 Lilja , built by Joe Starnes , Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x50 MLR, 300 gr SMK's @ 2750, using the NF exbal program Dell axim 50v and a 2500 Kestrel.

Jeff

Got this guy last weekend---should make a nice mount!!

RAM3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.