Shake up at "Best of The West"

I really have a hard time understanding this Ford or Browning" improving their product" analogy. Neither Henry Ford nor John Moses Browning jumped ship and went to the competition. If that's "improving your product" I'd like to know how. As for the new G7 scope I'll pass unless it's less money than a Nightforce NSX. You're can't get an illuminated reticle like with the regular NXS or a 56mm objective with the G7. At least that's the word I've gotten. I like to have options, not the one size fits all approach, so unless it's less money than an NXS, I'll pass. Should I get the urge for a quickie turret Kenton and others can supply it with a simple phone call and some data.
I am however very interested in the new G7 rangefinder. IF it's all it's advertised to be, it could be a great toy to put in the toolbox. I guess time will tell.
JMHO
YMMV
yadda, yadda, yadda...

I don't get some of the attitudes on this subject.

I recently had a discussion with a major custom action manf. about changing the extractor system on one of his actions, due to some deficencies with it and certain chamberings.

His answer was he thought about it and knew it was not as good as the suggested extractor, but he was not going to change it because then everyone who had one of the originals would be calling for a free upgrade.

WOW that additude is really conduceive for advancement, sounds like half the guys in this thread!

My rifles I build today are not the same as the rifles I built 3 years ago. procedures have been refined and tooling and set-ups have advanced. Does that mean my rifles built 3 years ago were sub-standard? no. But I feel the product put out today is better than it was 3 years ago.

Upgrading has been going on from the stone age to today, now all of a sudden it's evil? get real.

I watched LRP last night, and I thought it was second show? Dont know, but the BC GOAT O one, and he had his Huskemaw scope on that episode

Just You.

I have a 2002 Ford F-150, and since then, them SOBs have improved there truck without asking for my permision, Last time I buy there ****.

I wasn't aware that Huskemaw was made by Nightforce. Guess that one got by me. If that's the case then your analogy makes complete sense. I'm not a sponsor or a major player in the industry, just an old shooter, so excuse my not knowing. I don't think anyone is down on the Davidson's for going with a superior product, in fact it only adds to their creditibilty in my opinion. I do feel a bit for the guys who forked over major cash for a scope that is "pretty good most of the time" (Aaron's words, not mine).
I expect John Burns parted ways early on because of what he saw and didn't feel good about pushing the Huskemaw. Obviously that's pure speculation on my part but it wouldn't suprise me. His choice of a Leupold Mark IV scope wasn't half bad either! Hard to beat Leupy Mark IV's or Nightforce in my limited experience.
I'm glad Aaron continues to look for new and innovative ways to advance the sport of long range shooting. Makes it more enjoyable for all of us. There's obviously some high risk in trying to introduce and market any new product, so hats off to him for having the guts to do it.

twotwentyswift,

Are you being sarcastic?
I wasn't aware that Huskemaw was made by Nightforce. Guess that one got by me.
I'm pretty sure Huskemaw is made in Japan and has no relationship with Nightforce. At least, that's what I understood Aaron Davidson telling me at DSC.

Perhaps someone can confirm that one way or the other?

Thanks,
Richard

Is is just me or is this kinda shake up thing kinda looking like a trend with BOTW. :rolleyes: Something just does not add up!
Exactly what intellectual property do they own that keeps employees, partners, and competitors from doing their own thing?

If I offerred Brand-X scope maker the right volume commit, they'd probably make me a scope with a custom reticle and BDC turrets that I could promote.

Then, you just need a camera crew and some hunters...

BOTW has done a great service promoting the sport. And, it's not quite as easy as all that.

But, big business is all about fear and greed.

--richard

twotwentyswift,

Are you being sarcastic?

I'm pretty sure Huskemaw is made in Japan and has no relationship with Nightforce. At least, that's what I understood Aaron Davidson telling me at DSC.

Thanks,
Richard

Yeah, he was being sarcastic. The analogy of Ford improving the truck had nothing to do with the discussion here, since there was no improvement to the Huskemaw by Aaron, he just simply is pimping another scope now.

I think I remember Aaron one time talking about how the Huskemaw was everybit as good as Nighforce if not better... I bet he wouldn't say that now! :D

twotwentyswift,

Are you being sarcastic?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard and others,

Many scope manf. either buy glass made in Japan or have there scopes made in Japan with Japan glass. I was told by 2 industry insiders that the glass from NF, Husky and the Vortex HD come from the same plant in Japan. I have no way to confirm this. The difference in some of these, is that the companys spec the quality and coatings that they want in there product.

Higher end Weavers are marked with "made in Japan" as well as at least 4 other manf. My guess is they are made in the same plant. I have seen turrets on these Japan made scopes that look very similar between different manf. which leads me to believe they are made in the same facility or use the same small part suppliers.

German glass is considered the best with Japan coming in behind them. I am not sure any glass for scopes is made in the states. Leupold has sub contracted to foriegn countries for the manf of the lower end scopes. They still make the higher end stuff here but the amount of parts that come in from elsewhere could be substantial.

The Phillipenes has been turning out scopes for Nikon for some time. And the quality of Phillipenes optics has been very good, I am not certain if they have a glass plant or if they use Japan glass.

20 years ago when a Tasco World Class was about $120 they were made in the Phillipenes now they are $60 and made in China. And they are not half the scope they used to be.

I really have a hard time understanding this Ford or Browning" improving their product" analogy. Neither Henry Ford nor John Moses Browning jumped ship and went to the competition. If that's "improving your product" I'd like to know how. JMHO
YMMV
yadda, yadda, yadda...

The fact is that John Moses Browning DID jump ship , leaving Winchester to go to Fabrique Nationale , when Winchester refused to produce the A5 shotgun , and other subsequent designs that he presented to the Winchester engineers.
However , enough of the above .

Aaron Davidson left THE BEST OF THE WEST , either by his own choice , or by being forced out .
Just speculation on my part , but I would bet that the HUSKEMAW scope was built from design specifications drawn-up by Aaron. However , THE BEST OF THE WEST owns marketing rights for HUSKEMAW , and Aaron most likely is not allowed to sell HUSKEMAW .
I think he would sell them if he could , along with NIGHTFORCE .

No different than if you , or others had a job selling a certain product , then suddenly lost your job with that company , you ended up working for a competitor's company , selling a similar product , You would definately try to promote your current product as being equal-to , or BETTER-THAN your old employer's products.

I JUST DON'T SEE HOW THIS IS BETRAYAL .

Also , thank you , COWBOY , for stating that your products have evolved and IMPROVED , through the years.

DMP25-06

Whatever the cause or reason behind the split, I think that we the LRH community are the winners because we now have another long range show to watch and more products to choose from and argue over.:D

I guy could learn a lot reading this thread. I shoot with Nightforce and love it A year or so ago I was told by reliable sources that Huskemaw was all NF parts assembled in China. 'That true? If not, my other question is does the Husky have the "zero stop"? That feature alone makes the NF worth many $ more than competitors. I'm asking all this cause my buddy likes what I can do using the NF and wonders if the Husky is in the same class.