Setting zero for hunting rifle with turrets?

@mnhunter2 Thank you for posting this thread. Gave me food for thought, since for the last few years I ahve not done hunting where I needed to worry about that. After reading and thinking, I figured what works for me, but will leave it at that. There are some good recommendations here. Again, thanks for posting this thread

Anyone in here use a ballistics app, a ballistics drop card, or memorized their drops? I guess we can add a custom dial since that's what the op is going to use.
I have the Kilo 2400 AB which will range a deer out to 1400 yds. I ranged a white boat house across a lake at 3220yds. It's extremely accurate.

Im so confused after reading all this that i think im gonna go buy an old 35 Rem with no scope.
I "dig" your confused style, man, ... so I'll bring my 45-90 500 or my flat shootin 358 Win incase we need to make a long shot with a flat shootin high velocity long rifle, with those muzzle velocities well over 2300 fps, with my extra warm handloads...it will kill evething it hits.

The reason that the 270 with a 4X fixed power scope was so popular was that it's point blank range, 300 yards, was farther than the typical hunter ought to be trying to take a shot. Current company excluded of course but we have all watched the kind of hunter who under actual field conditions could not hit within 10 feet of a deer at 300 yards without the most fortunate blessings of Lady Luck.
I remember "them" saying "the flat shooting 270 can shoot farther than you can"
At the time I did my best to keep a straight face and politely nod while thinking about how pathetic they were. I was the Captain of the high school Rifle Team.

It looks like it's just you and me buddy! 😉😁 memtb

Well, last year I took their advise. Fortunately the deer I saw was way down the hill from me, about 300 yards. Everyone knows a seventy-eight year old does not get buck fever. But, for some reason I forgot to adjust the fancy turret for the longer range. I held center of chest and hit it right through the chest.

I found it with 7X binos and couldn't find it in the 2 1/2-25X scope set on 3X. So I went back to the binoculars and, yep, there it is. So, in my no back fever, I didn't think to turn up the magnification. Finally, I found the deer in the 3X looking the size of a squirrel.

This year I will be ready for no buck fever 'cause I will be a mature seventy-nine years old.

Oregon, ...no lazers range finding devices mounted on rifle or bow or on your person allowed.
Trail cams are the only legal electronics allowed and a lighted reticle that does not emitt a laser, is still allowed, like a green or red dot. No scopes on muzzleloders, No night vision, or infrared scopes for hunting "anything", is allowed, ..so no use having one.
Grizzly bears reintroduced, wolves have been growing strong for years, and will be taking the place of hunters to control deer and elk herds ...all natural ya know, just like Yellowstone, so the liberal politicians say. Except sometimes the mountain lions come to town and prowl the grade schools walking the fence line, stalking children. Hunting restrictions and no dogs allowed the populations to increase and they live very close to metropolitan areas.
Ridiculous liberial democrat laws are passed at will, with Washington and Oregon trying to out do California.... and they have succeeded, as of this year. Most newly passed laws should be unconstitutional be the courts don't bother with unconstitutional, unless it fits their agenda. One was held up in court so the legislature just passed another similar one. Outlawing the new ownership of an AR, or buying, or selling an existing AR are forbidden by law. The gun is destroyed when the owner dies. This is the type of law passed in Washington St. Fines are $125,000 and prison time, for minor infractions, with ARs. It's much worse than most can imagine, they pass so many new laws, ya don't even know, what you legally owned for many yrs, is now a felony to possess, one court put a 30 day hold on it to review.. is it law? Alot is in the who knows area, and the legislature just passed a similar law to the first one that got held up. What's in it? How does it effect me? Will the court uphold this one?...Who knows?
They hate guns, they hate hunters, of any kind. And they are in charge...enjoy whatever outdoor activities you do, while ya can, cause they are disappearing at a fast rate.
#greateridaho