Set and Forget Scope Recommendation

I've been hunting with a bigger scopes the last few years. My last "simple" scope set up was an older VX-III 3.5-10x40 and it served me well for my eastern white to a hunting. Hi bought a VX5, 5 years ago and have added a Leica since then. Last year I killed two bucks during rifle season one was 80 yards and the other 70. The Leica (Amplus 6) , and VX5 and both are bigger with dialing capability.

I have a lightweight 308 that I want to scope. I'd like to set a max point blank range and be able to hunt from the tree stand to about 250 yards. I'm wondering what is the best glass for good resolution in deep timber and hardwood bottoms, with lowlight capability.

The market seems to be so big and flooded right now. Should I go with a Leupold VX3hd? Swarovski Z5? Something else?
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 with MOA illuminated dot reticle...great little scope, have it on my DD5

Zeiss victory V6 1.1x6 x24 IR, I use the much earlier Diavari 1.5x6 but were I to change it's what I'd buy. Field of view at lower powers is enormous and light gathering ability in woods, forests etc is great.
Obviously this is a subjective assessment but what isn't?
Over 5 years it's not expensive.
BTW I've never had a Leupold so I can't compare it.
FWIW mine is mounted on a Browning BLR 81 in 308 with 20" barrel.
I have a 1.5-6 S&B on a BAR 308 . I wish I had more magnification if I was going to shoot 250 yds.
Originally put that combo together when we ran hounds where I hunt. It was a great combination then.

I think a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with a firedot reticle could suit you well. Capped turrets, lightweight, mid size objective, good glass and magnification for viewing details inside 250 yds in dark timber. Reasonably priced.
I just put one of these on a rifle I put together. We hunt in the southeast. Works great for low light. Honestly I have not used the illumination. The scope is clear and bright enough I can see past legal shooting hours.

I've been hunting with a bigger scopes the last few years. My last "simple" scope set up was an older VX-III 3.5-10x40 and it served me well for my eastern white to a hunting. Hi bought a VX5, 5 years ago and have added a Leica since then. Last year I killed two bucks during rifle season one was 80 yards and the other 70. The Leica (Amplus 6) , and VX5 and both are bigger with dialing capability.

I have a lightweight 308 that I want to scope. I'd like to set a max point blank range and be able to hunt from the tree stand to about 250 yards. I'm wondering what is the best glass for good resolution in deep timber and hardwood bottoms, with lowlight capability.

The market seems to be so big and flooded right now. Should I go with a Leupold VX3hd? Swarovski Z5? Something else?
Maybe this is somewhat inappropriate as I don't use scopes. I am in my 60s, the rifle choice for my dear hunting or for that matter, anything else is in 1886 Winchester chambered in 45-70. I have a MVA tang site on it, the aperture disk on it is .70". My front site is a simple gold bead. I have dressed it down and even in dark dark woods it will pick up any ambient light. And it will glow almost, like a little pin head out there on the end of my barrel. You say last year you took 2 deer at 80 and 70 yd. Cool. I have taken deer out to 230yds with iron sites. And again like I said, maybe inappropriate. And I don't use a scope. I'm sure there are probably hundreds of scope on the market. Just don't see the need for one if all your hunting is white tail. Anyways if you don't have a scope you don't have to worry about batteries I don't have to worry about it getting knocked off. I don't have to worry about the extra weight and volume. Setting on top of my rifle, besides a scope on a liver gun. Just doesn't look right. Just my 2 cents, but that's my rifle set up. Hope you find what you're looking for and good luck.
PS Again, just my 2 cents worth also something that was taught to me at a very young age. Sometimes kiss applies. Keep it simple and at those ranges. I don't think a scope is necessary, but that's just my opinion. My father when he was teaching me how to hunt. He gave me a single shot rifle and told me I only needed one shot. And that's what he gave me one cartridge, but that was yesterday's thinking, but something to ponder.
Also, just to mention, I don't hunt with any hot rodded. 45-70 cartridges. I stick to the old ways. My velocities are between 1350 and 1400 feet per second I shoot a cast lead bullet, and it will put them down. And it makes a big hole going through.

Last edited:
@Bominiscious

Which Amplus 6 do you have and have you tried it in similar hunting conditions? Might be what you want just in a lower mag range.

Leupold HD glass is the same across all lines or so they claimed last time I spoke with them. Only difference was they said VX scopes have coatings more suitable for hunting environments. VX5HD models would likely suit your needs and on a more budget friendly side of things.

If price and weight aren't sticking points:

S&B Polar T96
TT315H or M

Lahunter, OP's statistics say that his crop last season was harvested at a third of the maximum range he specifies plus he hunts in Timber, so do I and I'd rather have both the FOV and light gathering capability of the range I specified. If I'm honest I would have suggested a thermal imaging riflescope but I have no experience of using them though I find a thermal monocular real handy for finding ejected empty cases on cold mornings.
Being honest his bullseye is at least 4 or 5 inches in diameter so exact precision, whilst nice to have, isn't absolutely essential.
My standby scope for dog driven boar is a stirling nikko boareater 1x4 with a 4moa red dot and that gets used out of a high seat.
That's my preference and I'll stand by it, my suggestion was offered on the basis of the information provided by the OP.
Simple scopes, simple reticles much less to worry about when next months victuals strolls across a clearing 70 yards away.
Not the gear for 500 yard+ shots but we haven't been asked for that.

Forgive me father, for we have sinned. Although I saw nowhere anyone talked about 500 yard shots other than you. Most everyone gave sound advice. Just because you can adjust the magnification up past 10 doesn't mean you have to. A 3-15x44 fire dot reticle is a great choice. Three power in the woods with a tiny red dot work great. I know this to be a fact.

Last edited:

Am I missing something or are you looking for a scope that'll be point and shoot to 250 yds with a 308 correct?