An anniversary I will never forget!

Dieselbuilder

Today was our 35th anniversary, so I didn't get up and go hunting this morning. We didn't have any special plans and I was just setting here messing on the computer about 2:00 and told the wife that instead of setting here I should get out and try and get a deer. She told me to go ahead, she would have supper waiting when I got home. :biggrin:

I grab my gear and head out to the ranch. I get there about 2:45 get geared up and start up this brushy draw. I get about half way up the draw and this danged rabbit busts out of the thicket right under my feet and I cuss... when I look up again there is a buck standing on the rim of the draw about 30 yards away. :eek:

I try and slowly bring up the rifle and he looks at me and moves out smartly. I head up the side of the draw and after climbing about 30 feet get to the level he was on. I look down to the end of the draw and he is standing there down a tunnel of branches. I lean up against an oak tree, take a breath and squeeze one off. When I get the scope back on him, he has looked up and started to walk off, I reload and he walks in a small circle and stops and stands there. Unfortunately he is now at the edge of the tunnel and his body is covered so I take up another sight and try for a neck shot. I squeeze another round off and when I get the scope on him this time all I see is feet kicking. :)

I call my son to bring his pickup out and help me get him since I am not going to put him in the back of my Mountaineer. :rolleyes:

I walk around the end of the draw and move up to him and this is what I find.
IMAG0107.jpg

Very nice 8 point. Missing about 3" of one tine due to fighting but my first ever deer!

337743_2465710354495_1004351216_32600481_2114783137_o.jpg

On further examination, I evidently did hit him with the first shot as the only bullet hole was on the left side as he was when I first shot and the bullet recovered under the skin on the right side. Since he had turned and presented me his right side when I took the neck shot, he must have collapsed just as I shot causing me to miss the neck shot.

Not an extreme long range shot, I don't have a rangefinder yet but I took the coords of where I shot and where he was and using Google Earth it came up with 201 yards.

Congratulations on the deer and the anniversary. That is a NICE deer. It doesn't matter if it is 500yds or 50 yds, it is in the freezer.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts