Serious question

Some may not know what that knife is for,I remember it well!
I never had the courage to eat the testicles we cut out but remember the process very well.
lol šŸ˜‚
They are pretty tasty šŸ˜
I remember one time we were cutting a bunch of calves, we were putting them in a bucket and one of the dogs thought it was smart to sneak one out of the bucket, my wife saw it running off, she picked up a rock and hit that dog and it spit it out šŸ˜‚

I'm sorry my grandson won't get to hear those Tennessee Walker Tree Hounds baying and then running the woods with flashlights and .22 single shots to harvest the treed coon. Grandpa and his dogs are long gone. Didn't know what it meant till I got older.
But me and Jr have tractors, hunting, a river to fish & swim in (if the f'in drought would end) and a shooting range out our back door. We'll build some memories. Bought him a cricket .22 a few weeks ago. My wife says he's too young, but I wanted SOME bases covered.

I'm only 57 but I do remember the 70's pretty well. What I fear my kids will miss is the simplicity of life and how less uptight everything was. I've watched the world change dramatically over my time on this planet. One example is how utterly litigious society has become. In my estimation, this really started to ramp up in the late 80's/early 90's. Now, responsibility and personal accountability for one's actions has gone out the window and it's hurt us all. There are too many examples to list.

Last edited:
* To have lived before all the electronic devices of today, one rotary phone in the house is plenty.

* To know how to work and not complain

* To be taught in school how and why our nation was foundedā€¦.The Constitution and The Bill of Rights

* Actually receive an education in school

* To understand and appreciate freedomā€¦..and to honor those that provided it for us

* Go to and participate in churchā€¦..and live the lifestyle they should

* Have the opportunity to spend every summer with my grandparents (born in the late 1800's) at their home at the end of a dirt road in a very rural area

There's a lot moreā€¦.but, that's a start! memtb

I'm telling on you!! Mommy, Mommy (insert Government) someone is breaking the rules! Somebody has to stop them from expressing themselves freely!!!!!!
If you are offended then just move along. Strangely enough your elders clearly recall a time when being told to "Butt Out" was all that needed to be said.

"Butt Out!", find another group to annoy.

Admin - can you possibly move this to a place where Millennials, X's, Z'ers, and whatever else can be protected from folks that remember what it was like to be free?

I grew up in 60's.Lived at a lake for a while ,lots of fishing.Small creek for Brookes in mountains and meadows.My mom would drop us off when older at larger creek, we hiked as far as 8 miles up trout fishing, found a dead 6x6.Friend thought was pranking us, saying there's a bears laughing.There was one.I use to shoot small bore in downright across from post office.Shot more then ,than now.We moved out of town, farm land,whitetail heaven for bowhunting.Shot my first with my Dads glass bow and wooden arrow.Ride the horses, hay,lots of gophers shot.

I'm telling on you!! Mommy, Mommy (insert Government) someone is breaking the rules! Somebody has to stop them from expressing themselves freely!!!!!!
If you are offended then just move along. Strangely enough your elders clearly recall a time when being told to "Butt Out" was all that needed to be said.

"Butt Out!", find another group to annoy.

Admin - can you possibly move this to a place where Millennials, X's, Z'ers, and whatever else can be protected from folks that remember what it was like to be free?

There has been very mild ciricism of the thread location but none aimed at the content of the thread.

Admin has specifically set aside subsections to segregate subject matter. This section is aptly named long range hunting and shooting, set aside as it were to discuss those topics. Scroll down a bit to general discussion and it's witty header "chatting and general stuff" and boom there is the home for reminiscing. Wonderful section special made for Nostalgia and pondering how it used to be.

I'm Old enough a millenial to remember freedom, and "butt out" as a valid response. However, that knowledge followed reading and comprehension....

Nobody dislikes stories of folks youth, it was just politely pointed out wrong subsection.

The 60's were a time of wonder for me. I was just a boy born in 1959. I spent most of my waking hours outside in the late 60's. Maybe coming to the house for something to eat and to sleep when I wasn't in school. Life was simple, but adventures abound. Stimulus came from doing something physical and mentally challenging unlike what many kids experience today. My view of the world was based on experiences and listening to my elders. It may have been a narrower view than kids today, but it was a great time to grow up.
Every generation can point to the signicant changes that have occurred during a full life. I can only imagine what will change in the next 65 years.
How old were you in 1959 I was 15. Loved in Bentonia Mississippi. Still think that a 57 Chevy baby blue 2 door white hard top is the most beautiful car ever made! My Dad didn't buy it ! Bought the 57 ford Fairlane instead! It's was $25.00 less money!!!! The Grandson will never get to experience wild quail in front of a good bird dog . That's just not right!!! Your early years were very much like my own! Tribb

While I'm no grandpa like all you 60's folks. Looking back I feel like I was right in that transition of technology. I can relate to some stories but I also was in college at the invention of Facebook. I tell people I was born 100 years to late. My kids screwed. Once I finish my current contract it's off to the hills to live the simple life on a piece of land. Our generation missed the ball, my only goal is to show my son the outdoorsman lifestyle and raise him in the dying ways. You guys had it better for sure. Things are moving to fast nowadays and social media is a disease.
Amen

Why is this even a topic of discussion in the LR hunting and shooting sub section of a long range hunting forum?
It appears that folks including my self needed to get this out! After all the way we grew made us who we are, taught us respect for others, appreciation of the things that good honest work could provide you . We learned how good it felt to do the right thing when no one was watching. But I'm a rambling old man what do I know anyhow? Pardon me for intruding but you asked the question. Tribb

I've still got a bb in my left hand from one of many countless BB gun battles. Remember going to our cabin in north Georgia and hunting/ fishing all weekend, hunting with no fear of trespassing the neighbors place, folks stopping to help others , party line phones , a.m. raido in the truck , feeding cows/horses/chickens before school, splitting firewood before bedtime. I don't have kids -even summer kids!! Now I'm kinda glad I didn't have any. My wife's 2 kids are caught up in social media and what other people tell them is the truth, they seldom call her and it breaks her heart. I want to jerk a knot in their a_ _!! But that won't help But I live in paradise and know my neighbors and we all look out for each other

I bet if we all got together with our childhood stories and put them into a book "Simple Times & Great Lives" it would be a best seller and when people have read the book with all the great true-life stories, they would have a tear or two.
I know reading some of these posts now from our friends, I reflect back to my own childhood and have a tear rolling down my cheek!
That's a great idea šŸ’”

I'm sorry my grandson won't get to hear those Tennessee Walker Tree Hounds baying and then running the woods with flashlights and .22 single shots to harvest the treed coon. Grandpa and his dogs are long gone. Didn't know what it meant till I got older.
But me and Jr have tractors, hunting, a river to fish & swim in (if the f'in drought would end) and a shooting range out our back door. We'll build some memories. Bought him a cricket .22 a few weeks ago. My wife says he's too young, but I wanted SOME bases covered.
Amen to that sir. Spent many a night with my Dad in the 50's and early 60s listening to hounds run cats and coons. He is gone now but I still have his carbide light and his 550-1 Remington. It took many coons which I sold! for ammo money

Recent Posts