Serious Long Range Elk Hunters

Thanks everyone for the comments. I can see that there will be quite a few practice sessions using sticks or whatever I deem to work the best under those circumstances. I never thought about jerking the saddle off but that would work. Oh yeah have lost a horse a time or too. That really sucks when they go clear back to the barn.

more

Jim:

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Yes, I use the same Harris bipod at smallest height for normal prone shots. When all three extensions are pulled out, it works for me from a sitting position. I like crags idea of a rope loop for more steadiness.

To answer your othe question, yes, I like this rig. It shoots better than I can in a hunting situation. I have shot it offhand (to finish/ drop the elk I mentioned before) at about 100 yards.. it holds pretty steady.

A pile of panniers could be on the ground in two minutes. Good idea.

I use the stoney point tripod with the extra attachment to support the butt, for sitting shots. This can be steady enough for an 800 yard shot. But, takes practice to use and set up. Take a look at these. I've also used my spotting scope tripod with my backpack for a rear rest. This is even better, but takes more time for me to get to. I think the rope around your knees would be a big help too.

Had the same situation happen on the deer hunt. Uphill 30 degrees at 1069. I tried, but the deer was standing on the skyline before I got all settled. In the end, I just watched him dissapear. Looking forward to hunting him this year!

In my string, I've got two that'll stand quiet for shootin. They know what's comin', and will even back up a few yards. Then there's the rest... Actually had that work out for me once. I was waterin' Rusty at a creek when I spotted a coyote about six hundred yards up the draw and comin' down. I crawled up on a little ridge and waited. When my first shot missed the horse and the dog broke left. The coyote stopped because of the horse, and turned around, coming back to where I'd missed the first shot. He caught the second.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.