Sendero weight consideration for hunting

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by jrmac, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jrmac

jrmac Member

I am a novice looking at getting into a hunting rifle that has long range capabilities. In the past, I have hunted with a Model 94 30.30 and a Rem. Mohawk 600 .308. Both were pretty short range guns.

I am currently considering a Remington Sendero 7mm UltraMag. Priced NIB at $709. Any feedback on this model?

I'm especially interested in whether or not this gun should be considered for hunting, or if it is more of a bench gun due to its weight.

Thanks!

2. Kenster-Boy

Kenster-Boy Well-Known Member

Well it depends on how tough you think you are, how much walking you plan to do, and if it is really nessesary for your intended range.

I carried a savage 112 BVSS which is about the same style of the remington sendero except savages version of it. It is about 12 pounds to start with then I put a leupold 6.5-20X40mm scope on it then a harris bipod. so the whole package is around 13-14 pounds. I carried it in the local Wilderness area this last year and throughout the season I walked maybe 50+ miles and was still good for some more. The only deer that I wound up shooting was only 25 yards away but that is beside the point.

I am 18 and some would say that I have more ambission than sense but I ignore that anyway. Yes it will be a challenge but it is definetely do able.

3. Dr. John

Dr. John Well-Known Member

here are my 2 cents on rifle weight. I have owned everything from win 30-30 up to the sendero. I like the sendero better. I have hauled that rifle for miles for hours. never bothered me. I found that carrying any rifle gets a little tiring. an extra 3-4 lbs is not noticable for me. put a strap on it. and if you need a steady shot you have it. I am from Maine and usually carry an 11 lb rifle in 458 win mag. these woods are some thick. I don't mind the weight at all. I have owned and used 2 senderos (7mm rem and currently have a 300 rum) I have no regrets and have no desire to get anything lighter. accuracy is too important to me.

4. Misfire

Misfire Well-Known Member

I'm shooting a sendero in 7mm mag. I just put my rifle on my bathroom scale and it weighs 12.5 lbs. That is with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M3 scope, leupold QRW rings and bases, harris bipod, comb pad, shell holder w/5 loaded rounds, anti cant device, 3/4" shooting sling w/swivles and a bit of duct tape. That is ready to hunt.

I carry it all over the place during deer season. It gets heavy, but it isn't unrealisitic.

Good Luck!

5. jrmac

jrmac Member

Thanks for the response. I bought the Sendero and a Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14 for it (the wife wouldn't go for the Mark 4) Now I just need to put a brake and bipod on, do a trigger job and start shooting long distance.

Thanks again,
    jrmac

6. taysmon

taysmon New Member

I honestly do not believe you will regret it one bit. Good choice.
    _________