Sendero, Tikka, Others

You might want to re-read my post...Nobody said you couldn't get LR accuracy. Don't read too deep into things that aren't there.

I have LR capable sporter barreled rigs, one or two, but the rest are heavy barreled for a reason.

Simply clarifying

Ok, I am looking for a long range hunting rifle. Will shoot targets from time to time, but not for competition.

So, still looking for good opinions on Sendero vs Tikka T3 for accuracy in long range 600-800 yds situations.

Thanks.

Ok, I am looking for a long range hunting rifle. Will shoot targets from time to time, but not for competition.

So, still looking for good opinions on Sendero vs Tikka T3 for accuracy in long range 600-800 yds situations.

Thanks.

Well, I have 5 Senderos, and they're all sub-1/2 MOA shooters with handloads...So my opinion still stays the same.

Also, if you want to make the Sendero lighter for packing, you can remove the HS Precision stock, and bed the action into one of these, and it will shave about a lb.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/bell-...wsm-weatherby-mk-v-with-aluminum-bedding.html

I have a 26" Sendero barreled rifle (.30-06 Ackley Improved) sitting in one of them with a lightweight scope and mount, and it weighs around 10 lbs. Very packable, and you still have LR capabilities, and you can still have your heavy barrel for more rigidity at proper barrel lengths for the caliber, allowing greater accuracy potential (because of the contour and length, not to mention the extra weight adds stability)....Just to clarify... :cool:

Thanks.

no experiece with the t3. i have senderos they are worth it. the t3 hvy varmint 7mm is not avaiable here in the US. weight helps.

Have a look at the Sako A7 looks like it would fit the bill price in you range and they make it in 7mm RM.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Leaning towards the Sendero right now.

I am currently hunting with a 7.3 lb rifle. Will I notice a big difference going to the 8.5 lb Sendero?

Planning on a lot of hiking during elk hunting.

My experience, if you add a scope to rifle and you are over 9 lb s you definitely notice it, from a hunting standpoint. You carry the gun for hours or days....and only use it for seconds. I wouldn't worry about holding a sporter barrel steady out west. I see guys stack animals every year with 6 lb kimber rifles and fixed luepold scopes out to 600yds. Not extreme ranges, but about the realistic max for our group of western hunters

I have a Tikka T3 blued with wood stock, bedded the action, lowerd trigger pull, this gun will shoot 1/2"-1" groups out to 600yds with my hand loads! Beautiful gun with awesome trigger for a stock trigger. I have heard good things about the rem long range rifle also! I think either Gun you go with and put a night force on it, especially with hand loads you will have a winner! Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty good factory loads out there, you just need to find the one that shoots out of your gun.

I am currently hunting with a 7.3 lb rifle. Will I notice a big difference going to the 8.5 lb Sendero?

7.3lb with that nightforce on it? NF are awesome, but they come with the burden of weight.

The sendero is going to be a little on the heavy side IMO. I like tikkas but I think their biggest draw back is some of their barrels are slower twist than I'd like. For the range you want to shoot I think you're going to be border line w/ different 180gr pills.

Do you by chance have any action or old gun laying around??
Are you going to reload?
Are you opposed to midwestmoa working up a good load for your factory gun? :D

I think I would get a savage if I knew I'd keep the gun at or near factory. Remmy 700 if I saw upgrades in my future. It is really hard to not go w/ the sendero, but I have a feeling it will weigh in at 10lb+ after you mount your scope. I don't know if thats a deal breaker or not.

i used a sendero for my rocky mtn bighorn hunt. i have a 700 ti 6.5 lbs, a model 70 super grade 8 lbs ; and sendero 8.5 pounds. . weight helps for long rnage

7.3lb with that nightforce on it? NF are awesome, but they come with the burden of weight.

The sendero is going to be a little on the heavy side IMO. I like tikkas but I think their biggest draw back is some of their barrels are slower twist than I'd like. For the range you want to shoot I think you're going to be border line w/ different 180gr pills.

Do you by chance have any action or old gun laying around??
Are you going to reload?
Are you opposed to midwestmoa working up a good load for your factory gun? :D

I think I would get a savage if I knew I'd keep the gun at or near factory. Remmy 700 if I saw upgrades in my future. It is really hard to not go w/ the sendero, but I have a feeling it will weigh in at 10lb+ after you mount your scope. I don't know if thats a deal breaker or not.

Sorry, rifle weight only 7.3 lbs. About 8.5 with scope that is not a nightforce. So, the sender with nightforce will come in at 10.5 lbs.

No old gun/action that would be worth messing with.

I will reload.

That is what got me where I am today. Shooting inexpensive Remington 783 7mm mag. Bushnell Trophy XLT scope. Tried multiple bullets and powder and seating depth combinations only to consistently produce 1.2-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Really want .5-1.0 inch groups from the gun. If it does better, great!

Sorry, rifle weight only 7.3 lbs. About 8.5 with scope that is not a nightforce. So, the sender with nightforce will come in at 10.5 lbs.

No old gun/action that would be worth messing with.

I will reload.

That is what got me where I am today. Shooting inexpensive Remington 783 7mm mag. Bushnell Trophy XLT scope. Tried multiple bullets and powder and seating depth combinations only to consistently produce 1.2-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Really want .5-1.0 inch groups from the gun. If it does better, great!

The tikka is probably your best bet, but I don't know if the 9.5 twist will stabilize bullets heavy enough to reach 800yds w/ the energy for elk. You may be limited to 160ish grain bullets.

If you push the 160's at about 3000fps you breach 1500ft/lb around 600yds.

The nightforce is going to kill the weight of any rifle you use. Personally with the goal of 800yds I'd save the difference and go with a zeiss. Put that extra money into the rifle that better fits your needs.

I'm a little torn on what to suggest. On one side I say get a savage and take the money saved and buy a good stock. OR do the same with a rem700. Either way down the road you can tweak them as you wish. I give the sav the edge in price and slight better accuracy out of the box which will suffice, but in the future when you want a better trigger or whatever... the rem700 hands down.

Either way I really think you will be good to go. It really comes down to you. I will add good savage LA stocks are a SOB to find... rem700 dime a dozen.

You're talking about 10.5 to 11 pounds with scope and bipod. If you're talking long range a rear bag as well.

The difference is going to be noticeable. That's long range hunting. You need to determine your budget. 700 Sendero 7mm RM 1200.00, Upper end optics new are going to be more than that new for 20x somewhat less for 15. Bipods and sling another 150.00 etc.

You're looking at 2500.00. The Sendero will fit your needs.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts