Sendero, Tikka, Others

Fursty

Looking for a good long range 7mm mag. I don't want to spend through the roof (<$1500, prefer under $1000), but would like something that is .5-1.0 moa groups at 100 yds.

I have been reading that the Sendero is good out of the box with a lot of upgrade options down the road. Also, a few comments on Tikka T3 and a few savage 110?.

Please give me some guidance

Plan to use Nightforce NXS on the rifle.

Also, besides this site where is a good place to find a used rifle?

Thank you.

Sendero for sure and Savage depending on the model.

I would not consider Tikka because of the horrible experience I had with one and the sorry Beretta Customer Service.

Take a look at the Steyr prohunter and the Rem CDL SF at your price. I think the Sendero will be a little higher. The Steyr is made in 7mm WSM the CDL SF is in 7mm RM. Not sure which one you are looking for.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I would go with the Sendero. They are good shooters out of the box and get even better with minimal work (action bedding and trigger tuning). Remington also makes a long range rifle that is well within your price range. I have heard pretty good things about them. But have not shot one myself.

Thank Bob...

Looking for 7mm RM

Why the CDL vs the sendero?

I have owned a Sendero in 300 Win Mag and still own 2 CDL SF's in 270 win and 260 rem.

The CDL SF is a wood stocked firearm which may be a deal breaker for you both of mine are serious shooters 1/2 moa with reloads. I have never shot factory through mine. It's a little lighter than a sendero and the cost new is more in your range. I see the sendero selling for 1100 to 1200.00 a little over your price range. The CDL SF can be had for 800 -900.00 and later if you bang up the stock its any easy change.

If you can get the Sendero for 1000 I would buy it. That would be a pretty good deal.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I've had and used Tikka and Sendero both.. through experience, I'd say Tikka. Tikka has a much nicer trigger, they weigh a lot less and have a sturdier action, hands down.

My Sendero needed a jewel trigger and a skim-bedding to shoot like Tikka does "out of the box" Also did a bolt-knob on my sendero because I didn't like banging my knuckle on the scope each time I cycled a round... I liked my sendero once the upgrades were made, but I wouldn't monkey around or go the sendero direction again. Accuracy-edge, bolt/action ruggedness, rifle weight, comfort/& adjustments trigger-wise, a detachable mag (and) FEEDING out of that mag ALL goes to Tikka.

That is my opinion

Thanks.

Anyone else with pros/cons of the Sendero vs Tikka

I do like the detachable magazine, but really just want something to shoot sub moa without messing with. (In my price range)

I agree with considering tikka. I just finished two builds,then I decide to buy a fluted barrel tikka. There are some nice mods you can do yourself and the guns have a super slick action. I dumped a decent amount of money into my builds and this tikka is less than 1000 tricked out. Trigger is very nice and adjustable......

My vote would go to the Tikka, you get the most for you dollar and they guarantee accuracy. Mine shoots amazing 0.40" diameter hole 5 shots at 100 yards and the rifle has over a 1000 rounds down the barrel in 270 wsm. The bolts a very smooth and the have an external type extractor which is a superior design compared to the remington they also have a very nice trigger stock. They are also very light. They are at least $400 cheaper than the Sendero. With the savings you could upgrade the stock to bell and carlson, the bolt and the bolt shroud. The worst part about a tikka is that they are imported through beretta.

My vote would go to the Tikka, you get the most for you dollar and they guarantee accuracy. Mine shoots amazing 0.40" diameter hole 5 shots at 100 yards and the rifle has over a 1000 rounds down the barrel in 270 wsm. The bolts a very smooth and the have an external type extractor which is a superior design compared to the remington they also have a very nice trigger stock. They are also very light. They are at least $400 cheaper than the Sendero. With the savings you could upgrade the stock to bell and carlson, the bolt and the bolt shroud. The worst part about a tikka is that they are imported through beretta.

Do the Tikkas have a 26" heavy barrel? Seriously, I'm asking... I am not very familiar with the Tikkas, other than that they are one of the many companies owned by P. Beretta.

If they are a sporter barrel, then I wouldn't consider one for LR shooting. You will want the extra weight of a heavy barrel (no matter what brand rifle you buy) when shooting LR.

Do the Tikkas have a 26" heavy barrel? Seriously, I'm asking... I am not very familiar with the Tikkas, other than that they are one of the many companies owned by P. Beretta.

If they are a sporter barrel, then I wouldn't consider one for LR shooting. You will want the extra weight of a heavy barrel (no matter what brand rifle you buy) when shooting LR.
Take this with a grain of salt^^^

If I recall, the Tikka tac-line has heavy barrels. The rest are various fluted & un-fluted sporter contours.. however, regarding that being a problem for longrange shooting-- it is not. In the case a guy is shooting matches & quick long strings, sure, a heavy barrel helps avoid overheating BUT in the case a guy shoots recreational 3-shot strings at plates/paper (& most certainly in any hunting situation) there is no problem with sporter contours. They will absolutely shoot accurate at LR. If a guy looks close, the majority are 24" (even less) in sporter contoured barrels... big reason for that is for less flex & better rigidity for consistent accuracy out of that style barrel* That's the key to sporter barrels and accuracy. To say you can't get LR accuracy out of them is beyond false.

In the argument that-that is aimed at the weight being benefical, the weight can help steady some, but again is not an absolute requirement for LR. One of my personal rifles wears a 24" sporter contoured barrel and is set up as my sheep rifle.. it is 8.5 lbs scoped, 7.1 rifle alone. That rifle has printed tighter (3-shot) groups than even my heavy contoured customs. If a person takes the time for a proper rest and shooting set-up, any weight rifle will shoot accurately if the guy on the trigger is up to the task. The contour of his barrel is not normally any-place to lay blame.

Take this with a grain of salt^^^

If I recall, the Tikka tac-line has heavy barrels. The rest are various fluted & un-fluted sporter contours.. however, regarding that being a problem for longrange shooting-- it is not. In the case a guy is shooting matches & quick long strings, sure, a heavy barrel helps avoid overheating BUT in the case a guy shoots recreational 3-shot strings at plates/paper (& most certainly in any hunting situation) there is no problem with sporter contours. They will absolutely shoot accurate at LR. If a guy looks close, the majority are 24" (even less) in sporter contoured barrels... big reason for that is for less flex & better rigidity for consistent accuracy out of that style barrel* That's the key to sporter barrels and accuracy. To say you can't get LR accuracy out of them is beyond false.

In the argument that-that is aimed at the weight being benefical, the weight can help steady some, but again is not an absolute requirement for LR. One of my personal rifles wears a 24" sporter contoured barrel and is set up as my sheep rifle.. it is 8.5 lbs scoped, 7.1 rifle alone. That rifle has printed tighter (3-shot) groups than even my heavy contoured customs. If a person takes the time for a proper rest and shooting set-up, any weight rifle will shoot accurately if the guy on the trigger is up to the task. The contour of his barrel is not normally any-place to lay blame.
You might want to re-read my post...Nobody said you couldn't get LR accuracy. Don't read too deep into things that aren't there.

I have LR capable sporter barreled rigs, one or two, but the rest are heavy barreled for a reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.