Semi-auto prairie dog gun quest

Another vote for Rock River Arms.
I have 20" varmint. Great gun for the money. It's guaranteed to shoot 3/4 MOA from the factory. And I can vouch for that. Try one out

I agree with previous reply. I have 2 18" RRA EOP's and are hard to beat. Accurate and reliable. Have shot hundreds of p-dogs with these 2 guns.

The first thing to do is- don't worry about the brand (unless your life is going to depend on the weapon). Spec is spec. The second thing to do is find a good barrel, and a really good trigger. Third, go shoot the hell out of it. A guy can turn pretty much ANY AR into a great shooter with just a good tube n trigger.

Hi,

I'm am definitely a dumb newbie.

Here are some starting questions for my semi-auto prairie dog gun quest:

Are these good guns for starters?

Bushmaster V Match 24" (.223)

DPMS Panther Bull 24 Special (.223)

Accuracy is my main objective, and for the gun I would like to keep it around $1200.00 – what other off the shelf semi-autos are in this class?

Would a 24" barrel be better as far as accuracy is concerned vs. a 20" barrel? I'm not really concerned about weight.

Could I buy separate upper/lower/barrel combinations and come up with something better than the above for around $1200?

I am not in a big rush to buy, so I could take some time build one, or have someone build one if the quality is better.

Thanks,

John - Montana

I own the Bushmaster Vmatch rifle in a 20". With a 68 gr SMK and 24.8 gr of Varget it will put 5 rounds inside 1/2 MOA. Both rifles you mentioned are great, as are all that the other folks are mentioning. Go with the Vmatch and shoot the hell out of it.

I had a RRA stripped lower laying around in my safe for a couple of years. Finally put a Timney drop in trigger and a White Oak 20" 7 twist upper. Talk about a tack driver. I was going to shoot heavier bullets, but the upper arrived just before i left for P-Dogging last spring so i loaded up some 60 V-Max in a hurry. They shot so well i havn't played with anything else.

Sure glad I got those Rock Rivers when I did. Couldn't afford one now. It doesn't get much better than sittin in a prairie dog town with a good ar and a beta mag!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.