Prairie Dog Rifle Question…

Flea21

I recently upgraded my 22-250 to a 22 Creedmoor. I was strongly thinking about getting into prairie dog hunting. My question is, how often do y'all go through barrels? It seems like some guys shoot 800-1000rds in a day hunting PDs and I'm pretty sure at that rate a barrel would be close to toast after a couple days or so… am I wrong? If if I'm right though, this may be a more expensive idea than I originally thought! LoL

I enjoy the 264wm I've used for decades on them! I shot 1 under the chin and thought I missed. Went to check and lo and behold it was gutted. Now I have a hand puppet. It just blew the insides out thru its backside. I've also used a 22wm effectively on them out to 100+ yards, but 75 yards it was a no brainer.

I was strongly thinking about getting into prairie dog hunting. My question is, how often do y'all go through barrels?

When I can't hit a PD consistently at 300 yards with a rifle anymore I will get a new barrel or rifle. I like Savage actions for my PD rifles, easy to swap barrels and I don't have to worry about weight. I also usually take at least six rifles for a days shoot. Six rifles means a couple magnum rimfire rifles, the rest are centerfire rifles of .204 thru 6mm.

I will wish for a 800-1000 round day on prairie dogs. I think those days are past.
I dont see how its possible to shoot that many rounds in one day unless your using large magazines in semi autos and blazing away at running prairie dogs.
I guess it all depends upon what is considered to be fun.
For me, single feeding the gun, shooting from a bench, and not shooting at running dogs, 150 rounds is a pretty busy day.