• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Sell me your ACCURATE deer rifle

Looking for something that will shoot an honest 1/2 MOA reliably. Either a trued 700 or a custom. Ideally will weigh around 7lbs, would like to stay under 8.5lbs scoped. Something based off a '06 case: 25-06, 6.5-06, 280, or 30-06. I have no interest in 270s's, wsm's, belted magnums, or rums. Willing to look at other calibers, but those mentioned will get priority. Setting a budget around $2k but am flexible depending on what you have. Please pm me to keep this thread clean.
Do yourself a favor and shop for a Cooper. I have three very nice custom builds head to toe. Then shoot great and look even better. My buddy owns 4 or 5 Coopers and they all shoot just as accurate as my builds that cost twice the $$.
Strongly consider .280 AI. With the right load it can push out ballistics on par with a 7mag. And the recoil is very light.

Good luck.

Looking for something that will shoot an honest 1/2 MOA reliably. Either a trued 700 or a custom. Ideally will weigh around 7lbs, would like to stay under 8.5lbs scoped. Something based off a '06 case: 25-06, 6.5-06, 280, or 30-06. I have no interest in 270s's, wsm's, belted magnums, or rums. Willing to look at other calibers, but those mentioned will get priority. Setting a budget around $2k but am flexible depending on what you have. Please pm me to keep this thread clean.
[/QUOT

Didn't see a .280 Ackley Improved in that list, worth taking a look at.

I have the Cooper Excalibur in 280 AI and it meets your 1/2 MOA. It may not quite reach the 7 pound goal but it's a great rifle. Not selling it but just giving you an opinion. Used ones under 2K are a pretty good value.

I have a Browning X-bolt in 30-06, that consistently shoots 1/2 MOA, doesn't matter, 150's,165-168's, 180's. You could just buy ones of those for about a grand, and spend the rest on a nice scope.

Every one looking for a accurat deer rifle. How far do people want to shoot. I. bought a Remington .243 when I was in high school, I am now 72. Have hunted in Differnt states. Every deer I have shot at with this dropped. Maybe people need to be a better shot, or a better hunter. Some one please explan this to me.

come on out west and check out the 300-1000yard shots or no shot at all?
I've lived in Colorado my whole life except for four years I spent in the Army on active duty. What you said simply isn't true, you might miss an opportunity if you're not willing to take a poke beyond 300 yards. However, I find you have to make your opportunity if you or your equipment aren't up to longer shots.

I've hunted plenty with a buckhorn sight and .490 patched round ball in the SE plains to know you can kill game well inside 300 yards. It might take a little more work and some bruised and bloody knees and elbows. It all boils down to how bad you want to be successful.

This is a long range forum and a consistent 1/2 MOA or better rifle makes life easier When the shot is long. If I was betting, I'd say there are far more deer in Colorado killed inside of 300 yards than over. I know I've rarely felt like I couldn't get closer.

i still have this.

I've lived in Colorado my whole life except for four years I spent in the Army on active duty. What you said simply isn't true, you might miss an opportunity if you're not willing to take a poke beyond 300 yards. However, I find you have to make your opportunity if you or your equipment aren't up to longer shots.

I've hunted plenty with a buckhorn sight and .490 patched round ball in the SE plains to know you can kill game well inside 300 yards. It might take a little more work and some bruised and bloody knees and elbows. It all boils down to how bad you want to be successful.

This is a long range forum and a consistent 1/2 MOA or better rifle makes life easier When the shot is long. If I was betting, I'd say there are far more deer in Colorado killed inside of 300 yards than over. I know I've rarely felt like I couldn't get closer.
There may be some things to be mention that may explain this somewhat. And that is remaining energy combined with bullet sectional density. A knowledgable person once told me that there is hydrostatic shock involved that accentuates this principle. He said you can shoot a deer in the vitals with an arrow and it will most always run. It received no hydrostatic shock. It can be explained as a small section of hose full of water. Stomp on it and the hose will burst down the majority of the hose. I have shot deer with small bullets at high velocity and blood shock was almost entire rib cage. It was said the deer had a brain hemorrhage, and they do drop when this occurs. Small bullets even when starting at high velocity will start losing remaining energy and the same bullet delivering shock at 200 yards and less will deliver little or no shock at 500 yards. I suppose there are exceptions to this but if shooting longer ranges more initial velocity and energy is needed. Shot a deer at 480 yardswith 180 grn Accubond at 3750 muzzle velocity. Plenty of remaining energy but bullet passed through and deer ran 400 yards and ran out of blood. Havent had that happen as much with bullets with lower sectional density, meaning bullets that come apart and that expend all of the energy in the deer. I do not like long skinny high sectional density bullets as they can exhibit somewhat "arrow" characteristics. Just my opinion. I'm just saying what has been my experience.

Recent Posts