Seating Berger Bullets in Ruger M77

ELKS2TH

I am trying to establish a seating depth for a Berger 210grn bullet in a stock Ruger M77 300 Win Mag. When I seat the bullet out to touch the lands it is to long for the magazine. In order to get the round to fit the magazine I have to seat it .254 off the lands. Don't know if the 210 Berger will even shoot accurately with that big of a jump. I was going to use Bergers method to establish my seating depth but it is impossible to do it with this problem. Does any body have a solution for this, or have a load with a different bullet that shoots tight groups through this rifle?

Last edited:
This a common problem having short magazines in factory offerings. You can have the mag box lengthened on your Ruger. I have two SAs and a LA that my gunsmith altered.

I would say try the bullet. If you cannot get it to shoot then try one of the hybrids. I have had good results even with some very long jump to the rifling. My friend's Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM shot the 230 hybrid quite well even with a huge jump of approx. .240".

from an old posting:

AZShooter
Gold Member

Re: 230 gr berger in 300 win mag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say yes. I have deeply seated the 230 berger hybrid target in a 300 RUM and 300 WSM with excellent results regardless of bullet jump. The WSM was so deeply seated that the ogive almost was past the end of case neck. See pic. As long as it can fit and feed from magazine you are fine.

My loaded round for the 300 win mag looks just like your picture. Ogive almost past the end of case. I was thinking about trying the Berger 185 grain hunter classic as it is a shorter bullet. I would be giving up a little on the BC but might be able to seat further out.
Thanks for the reply

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.