Scratch SE Montana from your hunt this year!

szeitner

They're saying this darn Ash Creek Fire is the size of the state of New Hampshire! Although hardly anyone outside of Montana has even heard of it!!

Was out yesterday to help a friend look for his cows on his forest
lease, and I think we located most of them, he'll know better in a few days once they all filter back to the water tank. Even with the wind blowing to the east yesterday, the fire kept burning back towards Minnows and Kolka's.

When I left last night it was burning up to the east side of Beavercreek Road. Earlier yesterday a D-4 cat and two graders continued to cut a guard up the divide to hook into the other side to try to keep this monster contained. Heard Hansen's 3rd lease was burning, and the fire jumped over highway 212 to the south.

What little hay the area ranchers had is now burned, some fields were spared, but not near enough to sustain their cattle. The grass on the leases is gone, and it will be at least two years before they are allowed to graze them again.....this is so devastating, not to metion the thousands of acres of great hunting land now destroyed, herds of elk displaced to who knows where.....

Not sure if the ranchers will be able to find enough pastures elsewhere to lease so they can graze their herds, or if many will be forced to sell. Terrets were gathering about 400 head of yearlings that were on Davis's fields, mixed in with Mike's cows along with some of Hansens. Not sure if the fire made it to Brian and Maggie Dice's yet on the other side, but I fear if it hasn't it surely will.

IT was exploding to the east yesterday, it looked like the air tankers were on a WWII bombing mission, intermixed with some Super Huey's and a CH-47....flames and smoke towering hundreds of feet in the air as the fire continued it's march on it's path of destruction. Lots of prayers by many have given many others hope. It is bad, it will get worse in the short term, but it will eventually be stopped.

Envoirmentalists have been filing lawsuits for the past 10 years in efforts aimed at blocking forest service attempts to thin the forest, and mitigate the fire hazards....well look where this got them, not a tree saved for them to hug!
angry.png

Attachments

• ashcreek10.jpg
    ashcreek10.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 163
here's a few more....almost 400 square miles burned to the ground.....

Attachments

• DSCN1666.jpg
    DSCN1666.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN1634.jpg
    DSCN1634.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN1640.jpg
    DSCN1640.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN1647.jpg
    DSCN1647.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 161
  • ashcreekcomplex.jpg
    ashcreekcomplex.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 205
  • beavercreek.jpg
    beavercreek.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 150
Climatology wise, it's an interesting year and a devastating one. It's dry up here in Michigan as well, hot and dry.

I'm wondering how NM will be in November for Mulies. Fingers crossed.

Sorry your area is getting burned up. It's like walking on the face of the moon. Everybody says fires are great and I suppose they serve a purpose but the really hot ones make their mark well beyond a lifetime. Nothing to do but start over.

This year was a rough one in the west.....the area my family has been elk hunting for 20 years on the west flank of Mt Adams is gone and looks like scorched earth now. We're scratching our heads on what to do next.

I've got several buddies that live in Coalstrip MT, that have sent me pictures of all of the big fires that blew through there this summer. Most of the places we shot praire dogs down on the Custer Natl. forest are gone as well.

We've still got a lot of wildfires burning still here in WA state....in fact the one that devestated our elk hunting area is growing day by day; its still only 65% contained, and that depends on the strong winds we've got coming in the next few days.

what do you do?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.