Scopes and ballistics programs?

ENCORE

Asking these questions to save a few bucks on propellant and bullets.

I just installed a new Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 on my rifle. Its replacing a Leupold VX6 that the rifle broke twice. My VX6 had a custom matched CDS turret that worked very well, but I became too used to depending on it. Its now time to learn to dial properly.
That said, knowing the data of my load and it being almost exact to the Strelok ballistic program, will using the data for moa save me at least some money when beginning to shoot the longer ranges?
I did get the opportunity to zero the rifle at 100 and set the zero stop correctly. So if Strelok says to dial 16.5moa, should this be close enough to verify and make corrections?

Yeah, I'm totally new at dialing moa.

Most calculators and apps are very close. Just make sure you verify the results at the range .

Dialing elevation is simple, if your program predicts 12.271 MOA for a given range , adjust the turret 12.25 up and send the bullet on its way. Trial and error will let you know that ADVERTISED velocity, BC and various apps are not always correct . Always verify

All the ballistics programs will be very close, like dead on, as long as your inputs are correct. It's just math and math that's been very solidly worked out over the last couple hundred years. Before you shoot at all with that new scope get a tall target and verify your click values. If that's wrong then you'll be off in the beginning all the time and you'll have a hard time finding out why. I'm betting your NF scope will be 1.09inches per moa at 100yards instead of the usual 1.05.

Barometric Pressure and temperature are the biggies for your atmospheric inputs. Don't get this from the web. Go get yourself a Kestrel or Caldwell Pro weather meter. Muzzle velocity must not be guessed at. Get a chronograph reading of 5-10 rounds or more.

There are 2 ways of doing this stuff, Density Altitude or absolute air density. DA is easier to use IMO and faster to use but requires kit to identify your DA value.

I have the wind meter.

I will only be shooting to 600yds, the farthest the club's range is.
I've already zeroed the rifle for 100yds, so my next step will be the longer ranges out to 600 when the range road opens. I'll verify while using a rear bag, then start shooting off the shoulder.
I'll use the ballistics program to get me on paper at distance, then fine tune and write things down.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.