Ballistic plex scopes

huntokanogan

I have a 7mm STW and am looking for a good but reasonably priced scope for it. I have many Leupold VX3 scopes and realy like them. I was thinking about a ballistic plex scope of some sort for my STW.
Any ideas on what scope to look at?

If you like the Leupy scopes, the Boone & Crockett reticle will give you the multiple aiming points. I have the Zeiss Conquest and Rapid-Z 800 reticle on a couple guns it works fine. I also have a Kahles 3-10x50 with ballistic reticle on my muzzleloader and it works great.

My hunting buddy that went to Wyoming with me shoots a 7mm STW with a Shepard scope tuned for his reloads. After he saw what I can do with my Vortex PST FFP MOA scope with the custom turret he ordered a 6-24x50mm PST just like mine.

joseph

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with a Rapid-Z 800. It's a very nice outfit for quick shots. Since it's an SFP scope, you can tune the reticle to your loads by changing the magnification. Zeiss provides an exbal calculator that will tell you exactly what power to use to match your load ballistics to the reticle.

I have a Burris Signature Select 3-12x44mm Ballistic plex on my 7mm STW. Have looked at objects out to 750 yards, and they are very clear. It also gathers light incredibly for those early morning or evening shots. As for the ballistic plex, only shoot it out to 300 yards. I zeroed it in at 200 yards with Nosler Accubonds, factory loads. Set up on the 300 hundred yards range, center of 5 shoots was about 1/2" high. That could also have been me.

For true precision at extreme ranges I think turrets are the best way to do it. However, if you're like me I don't shoot at extreme ranges (more than 700 yards) so I have yet to buy a scope that would make it easy and reliable to dial in the elevation.

Instead I have a safe full of Burris scopes with either the ballistic plex or the ballistic mil dot reticle in them. I have scopes with the ballistic plex on a 22 lr and a 17 hmr and it really allows me to use those two cartridges to their effective ranges and I just simply hold the correct line and squeeze the trigger. I've had no problem with the 17 making first round hits out to 300 yards using that reticle.

On my 22-250 and 300 WSM I have 4-16x Burris Black Diamonds with the Ballistic Mil Dot reticle and love them!!! The reticle was actually designed to be shot around the 22-250 with a 55 grain bullet and my experience has shown that the drop out to 500 yards is spot on (I haven't used it past that but I imagine it works as advertised). I also use it for my WSM and after running the numbers I can use the same principle to get me out to just under 700 yards on a big game animal with no problem (The farthest I've tried actually tried it was 485 yards but I held where my chart told me to and landed all 5 shots right on the target). The glass on the Black Diamonds is truly amazing and I couldn't be happier with the scopes.

Depending on how far you're looking to shoot and just how precise you want to be the ballistic reticles are awesome at getting you close enough and doing it super fast. I personally like the Ballistic Mil Dot from Burris because I've used it, but the Z-800 and Z-1000 reticles from Zeiss look amazing (I'd love to try one out), and the Varmint Hunter Reticle from Leupold also seems like it would work perfect too.

However, if you're looking at shooting at extreme ranges or just want the ultimate precision possible then you'd be better off spending your money to buy a scope that tracks consistently and dial up for each shot.

I'm using the new Leica ER 3.5-14 with the Leica Ball-Plex reticle. It tracks perfectly and is crystal clear! I bagged a buck antelope at over 650 yds. last season... It worked great! NJSl

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.