Scope suggestions for a european hunting custom build

Hi, i recently got a good new job so of course i didn't lose time ordering a custom rifle 😂 it is in 308 with a Defiance ga hunter action and bartlein #3 contour 22 inch barrel with a manners mcs-t stock. It will be amazing. I just have to choose a scope to put on it.
The rifle will be used for hunting with shots inside 500 yards. The system must be very accurate because i will shoot also small roe deer (other than bigger wild boars and red deer) and the ideal shot placement is more or less a 5 inch circle in those small animals. The rifle will weight between 11 and 11.5 lbs with bipod, sling and the scope (11.5 with a 30 oz scope, 11 with a lighter one). This weight is ideal for me since i am young and fit and i already have a couple lighter rifles for stalking inside 250 yards.

About the scope, i thought:
-weight max 30 oz
-30 mm tube (i just don't need the larger ones keeping shots inside 500 yards)
-50 mm bell
-min magnification between 2 and 4
-max magnification between 12 and 20
-if the max magnification is 15 or lower, i could consider also a SFP cause i would take most shots when i need to use the reticle for windage holds at max power anyway
-exposed elevation turret
-exposed or capped windage turret
-MIL turret/MIL reticle. Here in Italy we only use metric system and it's much easier to work with MILs for me
-i give more importance to reliability and tracking than to image quality (i shot often at dawn so the image must be decent)

I have no budget limits but i don't want TT, ZCO, swaro or USO scopes (i prefer more traditional looking scopes)

European scope makers, a part from S&B, seem not to put MIL reticle on any hunting scope so compensating for wind becomes even more challenging than already is.
For me the NF nxs 3.5-15x50 SFP would have been PERFECT but it seems that there isn't a MIL version.. how is that? It seems absurd to me!

I already have a SHV 4-14x50 F1 which is amazing for me (just short eye relief), but, since the rifle costed me 8k USD (european prices ahah), i thought that this rifle deserves a higher quality scope. I could be wrong on this.

Thanks guys!!
You didn't say if you'll be doing driven hunts as that would make a difference in your scope selection. If you are, you'll want something in the 2.5 on the lower end or get something you can put an aimpoint on in addition to swapping out for a different scope for the longer shots. I hunted in Europe for 3 years while stationed there and had my gun set up for an aimpoint to hunt driven hunts, and a Kahles Helia 2.4-12x56i for the stand and stalking.

You didn't say if you'll be doing driven hunts as that would make a difference in your scope selection. If you are, you'll want something in the 2.5 on the lower end or get something you can put an aimpoint on in addition to swapping out for a different scope for the longer shots. I hunted in Europe for 3 years while stationed there and had my gun set up for an aimpoint to hunt driven hunts, and a Kahles Helia 2.4-12x56i for the stand and stalking.
No driven hunts, it happens that i stalk a deer or a boar and shoot close range though. In 3 occasions i killed them at 7, 8 and 12 meters. That said, people tend to say a 4x is too much magnification for these shots. I disagree, it's not ideal but it's perfectly doable. Maybe is because i shoot since i was a kid but i have never had an issue finding the target in the scope at close distance at 4x, even if it is moving. The secret is to keep both eyes open i guess. But i digressed ahah! For driven hunts i used (i don't do them anymore) my Benelli 12 gauge with irons

I like the NF, the March's I used inwasnt overly impressed
Can you expand on this?
Was it the 2.5-25x52 SFP march? Cause i have heard the ffp version could be optically less performing

Last edited:
The TT Marksmen 3-15x50 would seem to be perfect for your application. Some of the best Mil reticle options available, turrets track perfect, lit reticle, under 30 ounces. The Swaro Z8I's with BTF system are more traditional looking, great glass, and lighter weights, but no mil reticle option.

Recent Posts