Scope suggestions for a european hunting custom build

simone

Hi, i recently got a good new job so of course i didn't lose time ordering a custom rifle 😂 it is in 308 with a Defiance ga hunter action and bartlein #3 contour 22 inch barrel with a manners mcs-t stock. It will be amazing. I just have to choose a scope to put on it.
The rifle will be used for hunting with shots inside 500 yards. The system must be very accurate because i will shoot also small roe deer (other than bigger wild boars and red deer) and the ideal shot placement is more or less a 5 inch circle in those small animals. The rifle will weight between 11 and 11.5 lbs with bipod, sling and the scope (11.5 with a 30 oz scope, 11 with a lighter one). This weight is ideal for me since i am young and fit and i already have a couple lighter rifles for stalking inside 250 yards.

About the scope, i thought:
-weight max 30 oz
-30 mm tube (i just don't need the larger ones keeping shots inside 500 yards)
-50 mm bell
-min magnification between 2 and 4
-max magnification between 12 and 20
-if the max magnification is 15 or lower, i could consider also a SFP cause i would take most shots when i need to use the reticle for windage holds at max power anyway
-exposed elevation turret
-exposed or capped windage turret
-MIL turret/MIL reticle. Here in Italy we only use metric system and it's much easier to work with MILs for me
-i give more importance to reliability and tracking than to image quality (i shot often at dawn so the image must be decent)

I have no budget limits but i don't want TT, ZCO, swaro or USO scopes (i prefer more traditional looking scopes)

European scope makers, a part from S&B, seem not to put MIL reticle on any hunting scope so compensating for wind becomes even more challenging than already is.
For me the NF nxs 3.5-15x50 SFP would have been PERFECT but it seems that there isn't a MIL version.. how is that? It seems absurd to me!

I already have a SHV 4-14x50 F1 which is amazing for me (just short eye relief), but, since the rifle costed me 8k USD (european prices ahah), i thought that this rifle deserves a higher quality scope. I could be wrong on this.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Honestly for what your doing the Burris eliminator new one would be great. My buddy has one and for hunting and 800 and in it's great.

Are you going for looks or functionality? Why blow off TT or ZCO? If budget isn't an issue and you want top of the line for your new rig look at the ZCO, TT, Kahles, S&B scopes.

Looked at March compacts? 2.5-25x42? Or 52mm? SFP, MIL, hashed reticle, low profile turrets, capped if you want, or not. Pretty traditional looking too. High end scopes but not named ZCO, TT, S&B, or Swarovski.

Are you going for looks or functionality? Why blow off TT or ZCO? If budget isn't an issue and you want top of the line for your new rig look at the ZCO, TT, Kahles, S&B scopes.
I care about look and function, of course giving priority to function. Yeah, no budget but i think that with 3.5 k you can have already a wonderful scope, here in italy a TT costs 5.5k. Khales and S&B don't offer a model with my specifications, aside from polar and maybe zenith from schmidt but their illumination knob could give me issues mounting the scope correctly.

What about march? Since I didn't het replies here i looked into it on my own and i found 2 possible candidates:
-march 2.5-25x52 SFP
-NX8 4-32×50 SFP

What do you think?

Honestly for what your doing the Burris eliminator new one would be great. My buddy has one and for hunting and 800 and in it's great.
Yeah, probably any scope above 500 usd would be sufficient even to shoot past 500 meters but i want a high end scope for this build

How is the tracking and reliability with zeiss V6?
The one I have is flawless during tracking. Late evening hunting it pulls in light very well. I have two leupold VX5HD Fire dot reticles. The Zeiss is better in low light than them. Not by much, but you can pick up details in dark woods better with the V6. Leupold has lifetime warranty. Zeiss is 5 years. I have the Zeiss on predator rifle.

The one I have is flawless during tracking. Late evening hunting it pulls in light very well. I have two leupold VX5HD Fire dot reticles. The Zeiss is better in low light than them. Not by much, but you can pick up details in dark woods better with the V6. Leupold has lifetime warranty. Zeiss is 5 years. I have the Zeiss on predator rifle.
Interesting. So the zeiss has a mil reticle and 30 mm tube?