Scope Suggestion for 280ai

Blacktail

I have a light 280ai had a vortex LH on and like it but need a little more magnification or would like it anyway. In that set up its a hair under 8 lbs and is awesome to pack around the high country while still sporting 26" tube. I shoot 145 HHs to 3180 and 162-168 bullets to 3000. I picked up a NF NXS thinking it would be the way to go and new they were heavier but man didn't realize it would make it feel this heavy now at hair over 9 lbs. Just don't know which way to go contemplated a Husky 16 power or even their 20 power as they seem to be at least 6 oz lighter but don't hear good things about the glass in fact a buddies didn't seem clearer then my vortex. thnx. With that said will be having a mint NF for sale with zero stop lightweight rings and 20 moa base.

Check out the MK5 3.6-18, it's the best lightish and compact LR scope I've ever used.
I've had a vx6, and a vx5 hd and neither was reliable enough to keep.. Tracking failures with both

Maybe check out the Leupold VX-5 or VX-6. It'll save you 8-10 ounces over the nightforce while getting you up to 18x or 20x. You might save a couple ounces by swapping out your rings for ultralights too if you haven't already done it.

Out to 800 which seem to be max for my 280ai and load but want to practice at a grand. Had a vortex LH on her. And yes did do the ultralight rings and aluminum base. I like the vx6 leu idea but don't like the fire dot reticle. It appears the z5 swaro won't have enuff adjustment

Thanks for all the advice guys appreciate it I should have noted have no problem dropping 1500-1600 on the glass. It's my do all rifle

Tough spot to be in lol but I went through the same scenario on my 6.5x284. After researching I took some good advice and bought atacr 5x25x56 and could not be happier with the performance of nightforce and there reputation. Couple guys said just lighten the load in your pack to make up for extra ounces of scope and the trade off will payoff in the end. You may just want to keep your nightforce? Just another thing to think about?

Leupy Mark 5 or VX5hd. I have been running VX5s with the cds and they have performed well for me about a year now, including dialing for longer range hunting.

You bring up a dam good point !!! Plus recoil will be nothing now. May need to rethink this prob kick my own butt if I sell. Lol

I'm very happy with my vx5 3-15. Magnification range is about perfect, decent reticle selection out of the box and more through the custom shop, weight at 19 ounces, turrets lock at zero and ate excellent for hunting with gloves on, and mine tracked very very well on the tall target test I did. If you shop around you can find it for a street price in the mid /low $700s and the glass is excellent. For me the 6 factor magnification and lens caps weren't worth the extra money for the vx6. I'd check it out and put the extra funds towards your next hunt.

Or a new rifle. Lol I like leos but just don't care for their reticle vs a NF Vortex or Huskemaw and others I like to dial for elevation and hold into wind it that makes sense but I'll hit up their custom shop

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts