Scope sighting

After boresighting has anyone used the method of put a round on target at 25 yards. Afterwards secure the rifle in a rest making sure your Crosshair is centered on your initial aiming point and move the crosshairs to the the initial impact of the round. Then fine tune everything. If this makes any sense to you all. I'm hoping I explained it well enough
Great way to get started....but at 100 or 200. 4 times error from 25-100. But shoot 3 rounds not 1

That's only 650-700 rounds per rifle. A creed will run 3000-4000 or about 21 lbs of powder. 11 lbs for a 6.5-284 for example or a 12 for a hot 243.

That's only 650-700 rounds per rifle. A creed will run 3000-4000 or about 21 lbs of powder. 11 lbs for a 6.5-284 for example or a 12 for a hot 243.
Thank you for the great info..I appreciate it! Although I was being a little facetious this is great info to have on hand

Thank you for the great info..I appreciate it! Although I was being a little facetious this is great info to have on hand
I have burned out too many barrels. I had to slow down my shooting. I have a lot of other hobbies. Anyway, there are 7000 grains per pound. If you run 43 grains of powder per case, you can get 163 rounds per lb of powder.

Some people will buy enough bullets, primers, brass, powder of the same lot for a special barrel and chamber. If they know the barrel is toast at 3000 rounds then they get what is needed for the 3000 rounds of the same lot.

I have burned out too many barrels. I had to slow down my shooting. I have a lot of other hobbies. Anyway, there are 7000 grains per pound. If you run 43 grains of powder per case, you can get 163 rounds per lb of powder.

Some people will buy enough bullets, primers, brass, powder of the same lot for a special barrel and chamber. If they know the barrel is toast at 3000 rounds then they get what is needed for the 3000 rounds of the same lot.
I have been reloading for about 45 years but never burned a barrel yet...to many different rifles...but retirement has given me a lot of extra time albeit a pile of shooting with the new 6.5s...had to catch up with the fever everyone is talking about and the lesser powder makes it more affordable ( not). I have a 300 yard range at the house. I Know all the formulas for grains / lb....not an issue. But i had no idea at expected barrel life by Caliber..so thanks for this info...how about life for 300 Weatherby and .338 lapua? I'm running 91.5 H1000 in the new .338

...This usually gives me a 300 yard point blank as a 50 is about a 200 yard zero...

Did some math, and you must either be shooting real screamers (243, 22-250, RUMS, etc), or have a really high scope.

For typical rifles with 1.75" scope height, in the 2800-3100 fps, a 50 yard zero gives a 2nd zero between 150-180 yds, with 6"-10" of drop at 300 yds. By my calculations, you need about 3300 fps to achieve a 50-200 zero, or raise the scope to ~2.5"

For example...

264 Win, 143 ELDX, 3100 fps, 1.8 SOB, 50 yd 1st Zero
2nd Zero ≈ 180 yds
300 yd drop ≈ 6.2"

308 Win, 168 A-Max, 2800 fps, 1.8 SOB, 50 yd 1st Zero
2nd Zero ≈ 150 yds
300 yd drop ≈ 10.5"

YMMV (actually, it will vary)...:)

Well I guess if someone needs to dial 6" at 300 on deer or elk that's their issue. I can hold high back and it's a done deal. Point blank range doesn't mean zero adjustment to me it just means I don't have to do anything special to connect. My scopes run 1.75-2.05 depending on moa of rail. In the end, do what works for you. It's works for me.

Attachments

• 2D977871-CF8F-419C-A3EC-BE4B0BA097F2.png
    2D977871-CF8F-419C-A3EC-BE4B0BA097F2.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
I have been reloading for about 45 years but never burned a barrel yet...to many different rifles...but retirement has given me a lot of extra time albeit a pile of shooting with the new 6.5s...had to catch up with the fever everyone is talking about and the lesser powder makes it more affordable ( not). I have a 300 yard range at the house. I Know all the formulas for grains / lb....not an issue. But i had no idea at expected barrel life by Caliber..so thanks for this info...how about life for 300 Weatherby and .338 lapua? I'm running 91.5 H1000 in the new .338

The more overbore and more powder you burn the quicker the throat goes away. A 6.5 cm is 9.81 vs 13.01 for lm and 300 is about 18. 7mm mag is 13.

After boresighting has anyone used the method of put a round on target at 25 yards. Afterwards secure the rifle in a rest making sure your Crosshair is centered on your initial aiming point and move the crosshairs to the the initial impact of the round. Then fine tune everything. If this makes any sense to you all. I'm hoping I explained it well enough
I've never done it that way but I can see that it would work. Maybe I'll try that next time. I used to pull the bolt and bore sight at 40 yards in my back yard (which got a little dicey in my neighborhood) then I'd be on paper at 50 and adjust accordingly. Now, I got plenty of land so I don't have to worry about freaking anybody out at my new place!

Well I guess if someone needs to dial 6" at 300 on deer or elk that's their issue. I can hold high back and it's a done deal. Point blank range doesn't mean zero adjustment to me it just means I don't have to do anything special to connect. My scopes run 1.75-2.05 depending on moa of rail. In the end, do what works for you. It's works for me.

Based on your data, you're running a 6.5 147 gr (ELD-M presumably?) in a hot magnum rifle (264 Win or PRC?), with a little taller than average scope height, and you choose to define Maximum Point Blank Range in a way that isn't commonly accepted.

Not exactly universal advice.

I apologize if you were offended, but I thought it might be a good idea to point out that your particular method is likely not viable for the VAST MAJORITY of people who might visit this thread with a less than stellar understanding of ballistics and rifle zeroing.

both of my creeds run 8.5 to 9.5 inches low for 300. The 7 mag is 7". When hunting yotes I prefer the 204 with 2.6" but I have yet to miss a coyote under 300 with simple hold over in either creed. Like I said it works just for me. If you want to get technical then you can zero anywhere from 25-50. Old riflemans rule was 25 yards and military zero'd 25 as well. It works out very well for the creed but I use 50 as it allows me to not have to run an app or look at chart if I know the distance and have a time constraint. 3,6,9,12,15 puts me on to 700. My 6.5-284 is 2,4,6,8,11 to 700. Clearly you have to know your rifles performance and I would expect anyone on here to confirm their own data. Vital on elk is max 22" roughly with 18" practical. It does take much thought to hold high shoulder on 250-300. I would assume this not uncommon knowledge and but if it is then so be it. Like I said, it works for me, albeit the faster cartridges help

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.