Scope sighting

Cliff Mitchell

After boresighting has anyone used the method of put a round on target at 25 yards. Afterwards secure the rifle in a rest making sure your Crosshair is centered on your initial aiming point and move the crosshairs to the the initial impact of the round. Then fine tune everything. If this makes any sense to you all. I'm hoping I explained it well enough

I do this method at 100 yards.
Pull bolt, eyeball down bore at target
Dial scope to same view through bore.
Shoot 3 shots on gridded target
Adjust reticle to point of impact center of group (but I don't necessarily secure in rest)
Shoot 3 shots to confirm
Fine adjust if needed

I do the "one shot zero", then refine if needed. There are reasons it isn't 100%; like the rifle doesn't group really well with that ammo, you may have "pulled" the shot a little, it was a clean/cold bore "flier" so to speak, etc. I know a couple guys that do this and only this that slaughter deer every year. For that matter I know a couple guys that are fine just having the local gun store mount their scope and boresight it with a collimator, they kill deer every year. The difference is they don't shoot ANY distance, mostly probably less than 100 yards. Now do I recommend their approach? Absolutely not! Where's the fun in shooting a rifle once (if at all) and calling it good?!:D These are the same guys that cannot see how I can burn a barrel out or hit anything passed 300 yards.:rolleyes:

I do this method at 100 yards.
Pull bolt, eyeball down bore at target
Dial scope to same view through bore.
Shoot 3 shots on gridded target
Adjust reticle to point of impact center of group (but I don't necessarily secure in rest)
Shoot 3 shots to confirm
Fine adjust if needed
I bore sight my rifles in the living room like that I strap it to a rest put a target down the hall pull the bolt out eyeball it then throw the crosshairs on the center target. In fact I just did that to my girlfriend's AR I print off this target online the center target and then the inch-and-a-half adjustment to put your sights on. And I'll be damned I took it out to test it and I couldn't believe it it was dead on

What I see at the range, time and again, is guys bore sighting at 25 yards. Then zeroing their rifles at 25 yards. They move out to 100 yards and are dumbfounded when their rifles are shooting 3+" high at 100.
"But it was dead on at 25 yards?".
Not taking into consideration the scope over bore and bullet path crossing line of sight at 25 yards, while still travelling upwards from 0 to 150ish yards when you zero at 25. Giving you an actual 250-280ish yard zero.

What I see at the range, time and again, is guys bore sighting at 25 yards. Then zeroing their rifles at 25 yards. They move out to 100 yards and are dumbfounded when their rifles are shooting 3+" high at 100.
Not taking into consideration the scope over bore and bullet path crossing line of sight at 25 yards, while still travelling upwards from 0 to 150ish yards when you zero at 25. Giving you an actual 250-280ish yard zero.
every barrel lofts different also

Bore sight and shoot at 50. Adjust as needed. Then you'll be "about" on at 200 and a couple high at 100. My 2 cents.

I pull the bolt and look through barrel to get close. I shoot a large target at 50, 1x, adjust cross to the impact. Repeat. Usually 2-3 shots gets to the bull. I'll shoot 3 to confirm. This usually gives me a 300 yard point blank as a 50 is about a 200 yard zero. Of course I shoot regularly 500-1000 and it is very rare I shoot under 500 and confirms all my data is dialed for the hunt. If for some reason I have an issue in the field I find a 50 zero is much easier to do then longer zero's.

When I sight my rifles in at 25 yards I always run it an inch and a half high. Then do all the fine-tuning at 100

I do the "one shot zero", then refine if needed. There are reasons it isn't 100%; like the rifle doesn't group really well with that ammo, you may have "pulled" the shot a little, it was a clean/cold bore "flier" so to speak, etc. I know a couple guys that do this and only this that slaughter deer every year. For that matter I know a couple guys that are fine just having the local gun store mount their scope and boresight it with a collimator, they kill deer every year. The difference is they don't shoot ANY distance, mostly probably less than 100 yards. Now do I recommend their approach? Absolutely not! Where's the fun in shooting a rifle once (if at all) and calling it good?!:D These are the same guys that cannot see how I can burn a barrel out or hit anything passed 300 yards.:rolleyes:[/QUOT
I bought a life long buddy (47 years together...outlasted 3 wives) and myself new 6.5 creeds in March...his was a lifetime achievement award for putting up with my B.S. and he's on a tight retirement budget. It didn't get warm enough here in Alberta, Canada until mid May to shoot them. We used up 8.5 lbs of powder until today. "WHAT'S BURNING OUT A BARREL"?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.