Scope-Range finder suggestions-270win- 500 yard shot

You peaked my interest in that subject...found this on their web site.....

"Unconditional Forever Warranty

Every single Burris optic is covered by the Unconditional Forever Warranty.

*Even if your packaging or user manual indicates your product has a limited warranty, it is now covered by the NEW Burris Unconditional Forever Warranty. We pledge to protect our entire product line – including glass, coatings, electronics, scope tubes, and everything in between – with this unconditional promise and guarantee.

"Lifetime" warranties are a dime a dozen in the optics world these days. The Burris Forever Warranty™ means just that – Forever – for anything, other than loss, theft or deliberate damage.

We will repair or replace your Burris optic if damaged or defective:
• No charge to you.
• No questions asked.
• No matter whose fault it is.
• No warranty card needed.
• No receipt required.
• Automatically transferred to future owners.

We walk in our customers' shoes. We see what you see. We don't just design and build superior optics, we live our lives as passionate hunters and shooters. We insist that our equipment provide the ultimate in confidence – for us and for you."

I was considering this too...but what is the warranty on these? What concerns me is that what happens when one day the electronics part of the scope craps out? Now you have a very expensive scope with OK but not excellent glass. Most scopes have a lifetime warranty but do these? If not, id probably go and grab a more expensive scope and a mid level range finder since you will only be ranging to 500 yards. MANY range finders these days will range a deer sized animal at that range no problem. Check out the higher end ($400ish) bushnells and leupolds. This would allow you to buy a 1000$ scope that has excellent glass that will last a lifetime and still be in your budget. The leica are really nice and expensive and worth it if ranging 700 yards etc...but my bushnell G-force arc and my buddies leupold rf1000tbr have zero issues ranging deer to your distances. This will be my 3rd year on my bushnell.

Also one last concern...even if the electronics never fail...they will eventually become dated but you will never be able to "upgrade" them with out replacing the whole scope. However, scope glass does not really become dated. Techniques come out to make clear glass cheaper, but clear glass...is clear glass. So buying a nice clear scope now...will still be a nice clear scope 30 years from now. The 400 dollar range finder you buy now...will last, at least a few years, and then as electronics improve along with your budget...you can buy another range finder that will range further and do more...etc.

I totally agree with Bigeclipse. I would try to find a used Leupold 4.5x14 LRT That stands for longrange target. Then you can dial the clicks and shoot. All you need is a click chart in minute of angle available on Berger Bullets. It is good glass, dependable clicks and lifetime Warranty. The scope won't lose any value. Then I would look for a Swarovski rangefinder. Maybe used, a lot of guys I shoot with upgraded to Terapins, so there should be a bunch around. Same thing as leica. One nice thing about the Leupold is they gather a lot of light and at dusk and dawn when deer are most active is when they will help. You can check out the classified adds on Here and 6BR. com. There is always a lot of scopes and rangefinders for sale. With the Leupold and its lifetime warranty you can't go wrong. Matt

It is never as good to have the two together.. The handheld units especially if put on a tripod or rest are always better. Scopes are complicated enough without trying to cram all the other stuff in. Matt

I mean, the idea of the eliminator scope is pretty cool. Being able to click a button and it giving you the right amount of elevation and windage can certainly be handy. Some may say it actually takes the challenge out of hunting but I say whatever works to make a clean ethical kill is great. Anyways, I just think these are not quite there yet and not worth as much as they charge. Electronics will always get better and cheaper And maybe one day this rangefinder scope combo will certainly be better than buying separate but for me, Id rather buy them separate. However, if you want a no hassle kind of set-up that gets you out to 500 it will obviously do the job. Either way you will be happy I m sure.

You peaked my interest in that subject...found this on their web site.....

"Unconditional Forever Warranty

Every single Burris optic is covered by the Unconditional Forever Warranty.

*Even if your packaging or user manual indicates your product has a limited warranty, it is now covered by the NEW Burris Unconditional Forever Warranty. We pledge to protect our entire product line – including glass, coatings, electronics, scope tubes, and everything in between – with this unconditional promise and guarantee.

"Lifetime" warranties are a dime a dozen in the optics world these days. The Burris Forever Warranty™ means just that – Forever – for anything, other than loss, theft or deliberate damage.

We will repair or replace your Burris optic if damaged or defective:
• No charge to you.
• No questions asked.
• No matter whose fault it is.
• No warranty card needed.
• No receipt required.
• Automatically transferred to future owners.

We walk in our customers' shoes. We see what you see. We don't just design and build superior optics, we live our lives as passionate hunters and shooters. We insist that our equipment provide the ultimate in confidence – for us and for you."

See page 8 of manual/user guide. The ranging system and electronics are warranted for 3 years from the date of purchase.

Kevin, most rangefinders I have seen in operation in the 500-600 yard class in reality do not do a very good job of ranging anywhere near their max range. Perhaps a rangefinder in the 1000-1200 yard class would give you extra leeway for the 500-700 yard rangings. Good luck

See this line in the new Warranty!

Pretty sure that is forever, on everything! Pretty clear english.

See page 8 of manual/user guide. The ranging system and electronics are warranted for 3 years from the date of purchase.

Dosh, I believe this is good advice.
Kevin, most rangefinders I have seen in operation in the 500-600 yard class in reality do not do a very good job of ranging anywhere near their max range. Perhaps a rangefinder in the 1000-1200 yard class would give you extra leeway for the 500-700 yard rangings. Good luck

Dosh, I believe this is good advice.

I never go by a range finders "max" range...this is typical their max range on reflective targets...most of them if you cut in hlaf...will give you about the range to expect on deer sized animal as long as light conditions are good (no fog and such).

My bushnell G-force claims 1300 yards....again this is reflective targets. I cant remember exact but I believe it said 500-600 or so on deer sized game. I consistantly range deer around 500 yards with no issue as long as I have a stable rest/mount for the range finder. One time I had difficulty ranging a deer...I ranged a tree that it was next to...turned out it was about 675 yards away so my range finder couldnt do that deer. So for what he is looking for a think a MID-range cost range finder will work. This will allow him to buy a much better scope...then he can upgrade his range finder in the future should he need something that can range further.

See this line in the new Warranty!

Pretty sure that is forever, on everything! Pretty clear english.

Good luck then ... glad they did that.

You can get a Horus Hunter scope (3 -12 power) for $660. with a choice of 3 reticles. I recommend the H 59 reticle. I have it on a Bushnell ERS scope and really like it. These reticles are not BDC reticles but rather mil mark reticles with windage references and thus can be used in any situation. They are much more advanced than BDC reticles and are patented. The military uses the H 59 reticle.

The Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10 X 42 binoculars can likely be picked up for around $900. at a place like Optics Planet. So that gives you a good scope and excellent LRF binoculars for just the top of your $1,500. budget. These are both quality items that you can rely on for decades. For the longer ranges you wish to use these items are the best I can find for your budget.

I just got back from Cabelas to pick one up, but the staff there was useless & I wasn't impressed with what I could do with it on the spot. No batteries & not one staffer there to demostate anything. Not sure what I'm going to do, but the warranty is a good note & would make it easier to drop the $$

Good luck then ... glad they did that.

While I think the the eliminator might suit your hunting needs, I would not want my main rangefinder mounted on a rifle. What if you want to use another rifle? I don't point guns at things I don't intend to shoot. I range a lot of things I don't intend to shoot.

The Leicas are great. The 1000b is probably as much as you need. That Leica will be a far better rangefinder than the "built in" one.

I personally think a bdc reticle is the best solution out to 500 yards. You can try that prostaff with a new rangefinder, maybe its all you need. To upgrade the scope, you'd still have $900 in your budget to do that. Any scope near the $900 price range will be great out to 500 yards. Zeiss, Sightron, Vortex, Leupold, whatever you like will be a better scope than the one with a rangefinder "built in".

The rangefinder/binos is worth looking into. I think that is a way better place to have a rangefinder than mounted on a rifle... for me anyway.

No matter what equipment you use, you need to practice out to the range you intend to shoot. I don't think practicing at 250 yards is good enough to shoot in the field out to 500. Drops need to be varified at the least. Real world, field conditions are generally much more difficult to shoot in than practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.