Scope question

buldg76

Newbie question...
Ive got a swarovski 3-12 30mm with a regular (plex I think) reticle.
I'll be shooting a sendero 300 win.
I've thought about selling the scope and buying one with adjustable options for range. The swaro is a great scope, I hate to sell it and lose money.
How hard would it be to use this scope for hunting up to 800 yards??
If you know you are, say 38 inches low at 400, you can hold 38 inches over.
But of course this would become more difficult at 5, 6, 800 yards

If this is covered on another thread, please advise...

Thanks for any info

David

With a 250 or 300 yard zero your 400 yard holdover is more like 12 inches. If you look
at the swaro specs you'll see you can figure a few things out on the reticle. If it's the
same plex as mine here's some data.

click value .3600037 inches @ 100 yards
between recticle posts 140cm @ 100 meters 50.4 inches @ 100 yards
recticle thickness 15cm @ 100 meters 5.4 inches @ 100 yards
crosshair thickness 1.5cm @ 100 meters .54 inches @ 100 yards
1/2 distance between posts 70@100 meters 25 inches @ 100 yards

At 800 yards it's going to get pretty tough. Your bullet drop is 8 or 10 feet. These scopes don't have but about
40 moa of elevation, 20 up 20 down. So a 10 or 15 moa rail is in order. I would sell it and mount a Sightron 3
vortex pst, USO, nightforce, what ever your budget allows.

Last edited:
With Swarovski quality of glass and that power range you will be fine to 1,000 yards, you may need a 10-20 MOA base Dependant opon your load. The Outdoors man makes custom turrets for the Swarovski platform that are reasonable and so does Kenton Industries, I would contact them. I would not give up quality of glass for features when you can have both and you already own the expensive part. There is a big difference in the high end glass (S&B, Swarovski, US Optics) and the middle of the road stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.