scope question?

Tmcdonald3006

Hi I have a scope question I recently mounted a new scope on my gun so that I can start shooting long range I was out at the desert shooting some test shots checking my ballistic program for any corrections needed when I ran out of elevation adjustment my question is my scope is mounted on tall rings but I have room to move down to medium high rings if I lower my scope which will also make it more comfortable to shoot will I gain any adjustment in my turret or will I lose adjustment and if I lose adjusment what can I do to gain adjustment I've heard about shimming a scope but unsure on how this is done or if its even a good idea also info on scope is Vortex Crossfire2 6-24×50AO 30 mm tube with 75 M.O.A. of adjustment up and down and side to side mounted on top a springfield 1903 30.06 sporterized with a 22 in barrel thanks for advice in advance also a new scope isn't in the budget as of right now

75 MOA total vertical is not a lot. You can improve this by buying yourself some Burris Signature Zee rings. These have up to 20 MOA of adjustment available by putting plastic inserts between the ring and scope. (You want to drop the front of the scope by about 0.020" which you can do with the +/- 0.010" inserts). An added benefit of this approach is you don't put undue torque on the scope or put marks on it as the inserts automatically align with the scope. The rings come in 3 heights which are medium, high and extra high. I use Warne steel weaver style bases on my rifles and with those bases the "high" rings fit my scopes which are similar to yours about right for mounting height.

Thanks for the info so I would put the inserts in the back ring to raise it correct and would you recomend sticking with tall rings or drop down to mediums thanks

You put the - 0.010" insert on the bottom of the front ring and the corresponding + 0.010" insert in the top of that ring. You can then do the opposite on the back ring if you want the full 20 MOA which I would do with your limited vertical range.

You want the rings that put your scope as low as possible and still be able to put the front scope cover on the scope. For me that is usually the middle height which Burris calls "high" though I have used the medium height when my bases added height too.

I have also gone to the point of shimming the rear ring to get the maximum usage out of the Burris ***-Align system on 22's. This is the Horus Vision Predator scope on a 22 with Burris rings. Once zeroed at 50 yds. I checked how much down was left in the turret, measured the spacing between the rings, plugged it into this formula-- http://twincityrodandgun.com/Scope Mounting Tilt Calculator/Scope Mounting Tilt Calculator.htm , and calcd. how much shim thickness (plastic credit card-like strips seen in the bottom of the rear ring), I needed to max. the turret. Now I have ~150 MOA useable in my reticle/turret setup, and add 30 MOA to the turret when it's stored to minimize possible stress to the erector springs--

Now when this rig is zeroed for 50 yds. I have about 5 MOA down left in the turret.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts